Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Douglas Wheeler <do...@viableIT.com> on 2007/09/12 04:32:27 UTC

Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 452 Too many recipients

Is there an option in James to limit the number of recipients of an SMTP
message?  I am sending a message to 223 recipients and the message is
returning a "Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 452 Too many recipients".

Thanks!

Doug.Wheeler@viableIT.com

Re: Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 452 Too many recipients

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Douglas Wheeler ha scritto:
> Stefano,
>
> Thank you for your response.
>
> I did not make it clear in my original post that "the SMTP Message" is one
> email/SMTP message with 223 yahoo recipients in the header.
>
> Thank you for your response.  I do know Java and I took a look at the
> RemoteDelivery mailet and I should be able make this change.

I attach a LimitedRemoteDelivery I wrote some time ago.
It should do exactly what you need.

You can use the <maxRcptPerMail>10</maxRcptPerMail> in your
LimitedRemoteDelivery mailet code and it will send a separate email
every 10 recipients.

I've extracted this code from an search in my archives, I don't know if
it is stable code. So I suggest you to compare this to the standard
RemoteDelivery and take your conclusions.

Stefano

RE: Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 452 Too many recipients

Posted by Douglas Wheeler <do...@viableIT.com>.
Stefano,

Thank you for your response.

I did not make it clear in my original post that "the SMTP Message" is one
email/SMTP message with 223 yahoo recipients in the header.

Thank you for your response.  I do know Java and I took a look at the
RemoteDelivery mailet and I should be able make this change.

Has anyone ever seen a "Diagnostic-Code: X-James; [EOF]"?  I am also getting
the error returned in a similar situation.

James seems to be trying to resend this error and number of other non-fatal
failed messages.  I am assuming this is because the Diagnostic-Code is not a
recognized SMTP fatal error code as is the case with the following:

"Diagnostic-Code: X-James; [EOF]"
"Diagnostic-Code: X-James; There are no DNS entries for the hostname
qYAHOO.COM.  I cannot determine where to send this message."
"Diagnostic-Code: X-James; No mail server(s) available at this time."

Currently our system handles bounce messages (non-delivery reports) such as
these manually.  Any advice on how to prevent these types of errors from
retrying?  One option might be to only retry recognized SMTP errors rather
than retrying unknown errors which appears to be the default.

Thanks!

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.