Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Pankaj Misra <pa...@impetus.co.in> on 2012/09/19 06:02:11 UTC

HBase Avro Client

Hi All,

I have been trying to find some help around building an Avro client for HBase, but was not able to find much help, as most of the articles were discussing stand-alone avro as a in-memory data format and serialization engine.

I was able to successfully start the avro server with
$bin/hbase avro start

The server starts up without any problems and runs on a port. Now I want to build an avro hbase client to describe table, column families and to write data into habase using this avro client.

I intend to build this client in Java and my hbase version is 0.94.1. I could also see java avro-tools jar version 1.7.1 in avro downloads. Do I need to use this for building my client. Some clues around this would be very helpful. Thanks.

Thanks and Regards
Pankaj Misra

_

________________________________

Impetus Ranked in the Top 50 India’s Best Companies to Work For 2012.

Impetus webcast ‘Designing a Test Automation Framework for Multi-vendor Interoperable Systems’ available at http://lf1.me/0E/.

Re: HBase Avro Client

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Pankaj,

You reached the Hadoop user lists. Not everyone here may be an HBase
user. Moving this to the HBase user lists (user@hbase.apache.org).
Please use the right project's lists for best responses.

My reply inline.

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 12:44 PM, Pankaj Misra
<pa...@impetus.co.in> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have been searching around for the relevant information around building an avro HBase client for the HBase Avro server running on a port(9090). I have come across the HBase Definitive Guide, but even there I only see the the server startup part in the documentation which I have already done.

I won't recommend using HBase Avro Server today, primarily cause it
had been marked for removal, and is removed:

Instead, try the REST or the Thrift server.

If you instead want to persist in using this anyway, read on.

> There are a few things that I do understand reading the avro and hbase documentation. As per the documentation, HBase provides AvroServer.HBaseImpl, which is a server side of the things. This implementation runs as a server listening to a port (9090) and acts as a bridge between the AvroServer and HBase. The operations supported are as described in the Hbase.avpr file.

The HBaseImpl is what you need actually. See the test-case
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hbase/tags/0.94.1/src/test/java/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/avro/TestAvroServer.java
on how to implement an instance of HBaseImpl and use the various
objects such as ATableDescriptor, etc. with it. These generated
classes are already made available in the distribution.

> The doubts however I have are,
> 1. If I have to build a client that could connect to this port and could create table, column families and insert data, what would it take?

See above.

> 2. Will I have to define a custom schema and have to generate classes out of it?

Doubt it. The docs say you do not need to do this cause for Java
things are pre-provided in a distribution.

> 3. How would I connect to the Avro server running with HBase?

Your client should just specify the right server and port address for
the Avro server.

> 4. Since the communication is rpc based, how will I specify what operation is to be performed at the server from the client?

Via the HBaseImpl client API, same as you'd do on a regular client :)

--
Harsh J

Re: HBase Avro Client

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.