Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Michael Scheidell <mi...@secnap.com> on 2010/09/20 17:53:44 UTC

explain DKIM_ADSP_DISCARD?

  these new dkim tests confuse me :-)

DKIM_ADSP_DISCARD=1.8

seems like it decided this is a forged email?

seems ok to me. I can pastebin it if someone wants.
spf pass, dkim passes (dkim_valid), rcvd_in_rp_certified,
rcvd_in_dnswl_med, rdns and envelope from seem to match.

AH.. braniacs at ebay... envelope from is members.ebay.com.  dkim
signature has d=ebay.com

is that what adsp_discard means? that even though the dkim signature
matched, the domain in the envelope from didn't match the domain that
the signature says it signed?

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
o: 561-999-5000
 > *| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

    * Certified SNORT Integrator
    * Best in Email Security,2010: Network Products Guide
    * King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008

Re: explain DKIM_ADSP_DISCARD?

Posted by Mark Martinec <Ma...@ijs.si>.
Michael,

> these new dkim tests confuse me :-)
> DKIM_ADSP_DISCARD=1.8
> seems like it decided this is a forged email?

It is implemented as per RFC 5617.

> seems ok to me. I can pastebin it if someone wants.
> spf pass, dkim passes (dkim_valid), rcvd_in_rp_certified,
> rcvd_in_dnswl_med, rdns and envelope from seem to match.
>
> AH.. braniacs at ebay... envelope from is members.ebay.com.
> dkim signature has d=ebay.com

ADSP des not care for envelope sender address.
All it cares is an exact match between the From header field
and the d= tag (a signing domain) in the DKIM signature.

If that From is also @members.ebay.com and d is ebay.com,
that would be a mismatch and ADSP would strike in.

> is that what adsp_discard means? that even though the dkim signature
> matched, the domain in the envelope from didn't match the domain that
> the signature says it signed?

Which of the ADSP outcomes (unknown/all/discardable) would you end
up with depends in either the published or overridden ADSP policy.

The published ADSP policy (assuming From: ...@members.ebay.com)
would be queried as:
  $ host -t txt _adsp._domainkey.members.ebay.com
which in this case does not exist, so it defaults to "unknown".

But the 60_adsp_override_dkim.cf overrides this policy by
an "discardable":  adsp_override *.ebay.com

$ man Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::DKIM
  Absence of this second parameter implies "discardable"

which scores a conservative 1.8 points, not to penalize
mistakes at the signing or the receiving side. But yes,
technically it is a forgery as far as ADSP is concerned.

  Mark