Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Nelson, Robert D." <RD...@Mail.Donaldson.com> on 2002/12/06 17:23:51 UTC

[users@httpd] Limiting Sessions

Everyone:

I have a system running on a back-end app server that is having trouble with
the volume of traffic that it gets.  The traffic for this server is being
proxied (mod_proxy) via my front-end Apache web server.  As a long term
solution, we are going to increase the capacity of the application, but I
need a short term solution that will run for a few weeks.

What I'm looking for is some way to limit the number of "sessions" that is
proxied by the front-end Apache server.  I can't simply limit the number of
servers that are allowed or the number of clients via "MaxClients" because
that Apache server handles many more sites/applications.  I've looked at
using mod_throttle, but that seems to set limits based on transfer, not
sessions.

Does anyone have any ideas on what can be done?

Thanks in advance for your help.

 ~ Robert