Posted to users@directory.apache.org by robin bajaj <ro...@gmail.com> on 2007/06/07 20:43:54 UTC

issues with adding my own partition resp. suffix in conf/server.xml

I am trying to do the following
Adding your own partition resp.
suffix<http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.0/14-basic-configuration-tasks.html#1.4.Basicconfigurationtasks-Addingyourownpartitionresp.suffix>
by following this section in apacheds 1.x user's guide
http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.0/14-basic-configuration-tasks.html#1.4.Basicconfigurationtasks-Addingyourownpartitionresp.suffix

I make the changes in the conf/server.xml file and restart the server. But I
still don't see it pick up my changes.
I have tried using both softerra ldap browser and jxplorer ldap client (with
the same results.)

is it a known bug in apacheds or is there something wrong that I am doing in
this case,
my OS is windowsXP.
thanks in advance for any helpful pointers,
robin

Re: Thanks, Markus! (was Re: issues with adding my own partition resp. suffix in conf/server.xml)

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Yes Markus you have a great attitude.  It's a pleasure to have you here.

Regards,
Alex

Posted by Stefan Zoerner <sz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Markus Pohle <ap...@webunity.de>.
Hi Emmanuel,

of course you are right! :-) Robin, use apache directory studio, give
it a try. I use it myself and it is really good. By the way, when
using apache directory studio, you have >>three<< more things you can
test according to your own partition:

7th: after downloading and installing directory studio create a new
connection and within this connection assistent on the first page
click on the "check network parameter" button and see if it says that
the connection was established successfully.

8th: on the second page of assistent enter bind dn or user and
password (something like uid=admin,ou=system / secret ) and click on
"check authentication" and see if it says that authentication was
successfull.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the "howto", Markus :)

I would add a 6th :
Give Apache Directory Studio a try, instead of using Jxplorer or ldapbrowser
! (self promotion for our *great* browser :)

http://directory.apache.org/studio/

Emmanuel

On 6/8/07, Markus Pohle <ap...@webunity.de> wrote:

> Hi Robin,
>
> there is no bug in apacheds with adding your own partition :-)
>
> first: did you really made the changes like shown in the example? did
> you added a ref bean entry in contextPartitionConfigurations with your
> partitions id, like seen in the example?
>
> second: is it sure that there is no misspelling between
> contextPartitionConfigurations bean entry and the id in your partition?
>
> third: what do you see, when you try to bind to your apacheds ldap? do
> you see as root entries ou=schema or ou=system?
>
> fourth: can you bind to the ldap server? is it really running? what
> does the apacheds-rolling.log logfile say?
>
> fifth: from your server.xml file paste the
> contextPartitionConfigurations section and your own partition
> configuration.
>
> Greetings
> Markus
>
> Zitat von robin bajaj <ro...@gmail.com>:
>
> > I am trying to do the following
> > Adding your own partition resp.
> > suffix<
> http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.0/14-basic-configuration-tasks.html#1.4.Basicconfigurationtasks-Addingyourownpartitionresp.suffix
> >
> > by following this section in apacheds 1.x user's guide
> >
> http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.0/14-basic-configuration-tasks.html#1.4.Basicconfigurationtasks-Addingyourownpartitionresp.suffix
> >

> > I make the changes in the conf/server.xml file and restart the server.
> But I
> > still don't see it pick up my changes.
> > I have tried using both softerra ldap browser and jxplorer ldap client
> (with
> > the same results.)
> >
> > is it a known bug in apacheds or is there something wrong that I am
> doing in
> > this case,
> > my OS is windowsXP.
> > thanks in advance for any helpful pointers,
> > robin

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: issues with adding my own partition resp. suffix in conf/server.xml

Posted by Markus Pohle <ap...@webunity.de>.
Hi Robin,