Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> on 2013/03/26 15:06:34 UTC

Re: svn commit: r1461134 - in /commons/proper/csv/trunk/src: main/java/org/apache/commons/csv/ test/java/org/apache/commons/csv/

Le 26/03/2013 14:58, ggregory@apache.org a écrit :

> -    public static final CSVFormat DEFAULT = // TODO rename to something more meaningful
> +    public static final CSVFormat RFC4180_EMPTY_LINES =

My opinion, from the "Ease of Use Department", when I read the Javadoc
and see DEFAULT I understand immediately that's what I should probably
use. With RFC4180_EMPTY_LINES I have no idea what this means (and
probably scared that I'll have to read a RFC to understand it).

Emmanuel Bourg

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Adrian Crum <
adrian.crum@sandglass-software.com> wrote:

> I like the idea of improving the JavaDoc. The DEFAULT field was very
> intuitive.

I've changed it back to DEFAULT in SVN.

Gary

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Le 26/03/2013 15:14, Gary Gregory a écrit :

> Then we need to make the Javadoc better. "DEFAULT" means nothing because it
> is arbitrary as exemplified by the Javadoc: it's the RFC with empty lines,
> but it could be anything we decide, which is unhelpful and could change. If
> you read RFC4180_EMPTY_LINES or RFC4180_THIS_AND_THAT, you know as a user
> that it is precise and quite unlikely to change, whereas DEFAULT could
> change from "RFC and this" or " "RFC and this and that"...

I don't mind having a RFC4180_EMPTY_LINES constant, but I feel it's
important to also have a sane default with a friendly name that shouts
"start with this" at the first glance.

Emmanuel Bourg

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.