Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net> on 2006/02/21 17:09:59 UTC

[web] Request for website updates for nightly builds and javadoc

I think it would be good from the download page to point to the nightly
builds that Ole posts for users to try out if they want to be daring:

10.2 - http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/Apache/Derby/builds/
10.1 - http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/Apache/Derby-10.1/builds/

I also think it would be good for the public API javadoc to be linked
from the Manuals page.
I know it is linked from the Papers page, but I don't think users would
tend to go there.

Three questions:
1) Does anyone see any issue with linking these builds to the download
page with suitable disclaimers?
2) I noticed the 10.1 page talks about the alpha flag which I think is
not applicable.
3)  Should I fiile this as  2 Jira issues or lump them together as one?

Kathey

Re: [web] Request for website updates for nightly builds and javadoc

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.
Kathey Marsden wrote:
> Kathey Marsden wrote:
>

>>I also think it would be good for the public API javadoc to be linked
>
>>from the Manuals page.

> Actually the API is linked, I was just being blind.  The only request is
> for the builds.

I think a bigger issue is that there is no linkage from the manuals to
the javadoc in a release. At least none I could see. Ideally the
pubished api javadoc and the manuals would be well integrated, so that
any mention of a public api class in the manuals would be a hyperlink to
the Javadoc.

Another ease of use issue with the docs in a release is that there is
not obvious starting point, say an index.html at the top level. The docs
 directories are a pain in the html mode, the docs folder has html/<book
name>. Looking at ref I'm faced with 313 .html files, most with
confusing names. The starting point is not obvious, index.html is hidden
somewhere in there, but it's a pain to find. I wonder if all of the html
files except the starting point could be in a sub-folder?

Dan.

Re: [web] Request for website updates for nightly builds and javadoc

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>

>>How about this wording for a new "Nightly Builds" section on
>>http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html .
>>
>>  Unofficial nightly builds are available from the links below:
>>
>>   * 10.1 : http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/Apache/Derby-10.1/builds/
>>   * development trunk:
>>http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/Apache/Derby/builds/
>>
>>  Nightly builds are generated automatically and there is no guarantee
>>that they will actually work! Production systems should *always* use the
>>official release.
>>
>>tight enough? need additional wording?
>

> We might want to say something about optional build components that are
> always present in official releases may not be present in these
> unofficial builds, e.g. JSR169 suppport, OSGi support, JDBC 4.0 support.
> I tried downloading a build from Ole's site to see what was in the jars,
> but it was really slow so I gave up. Though what's true for Ole's build
> may not be true for someone else's builds in the future.

Here's some refinement:

   Nightly builds are generated automatically. There is no
   guarantee that they will actually work nor that they will
   include optional build components that are present in
   official releases, such as JSR169 support, OSGi support,
   and JDBC 4.0 support.

   Production systems should *always* use the official release.

comments? additions?

 -jean

Re: [web] Request for website updates for nightly builds and javadoc

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Ole Solberg wrote:
> Kathey Marsden wrote:
>> Jean T. Anderson wrote:

>>> It would be easy for http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html to
>>> point to an index of nightly builds on
>>> http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/
>>>
>>> It's hard to automatically rebuild the web site nightly to point to each
>>> specific new build (more details below).
>>>

>> These two lings are farily static I think:
>>  The 10.1 builds are at:
>>
>> http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/Apache/Derby-10.1/builds/
>>
>> The trunk  builds (10.2) are at:
>> http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/Apache/Derby/builds/
>>
>> and should be separately linked from the downloads page.
>> We wouldn't need a new link until 10.2 branched.
>

> I agree that we should just have links from the Derby downloads page to
> "my" Derby/builds/ and Derby-10.1/builds/ pages.
> When we get another branch we will have to do some manual updates both
> to the Derby download page and "my" pages anyway.

infrequent updates to the derby web aren't any problem at all -- and any
committer can make them, incidently.

I'm looking at http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html, and here's the
wording regarding builds:

Posted by Ole Solberg <Ol...@Sun.COM>.
Kathey Marsden wrote:
> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>

>>Kathey Marsden wrote:
>>

>>>I think it would be good from the download page to point to the nightly
>>>builds that Ole posts for users to try out if they want to be daring:
>>>
>>>10.2 - http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/Apache/Derby/builds/
>>>10.1 - http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/Apache/Derby-10.1/builds/
>>>

>>It would be easy for http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html to
>>point to an index of nightly builds on
>>http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/
>>
>>It's hard to automatically rebuild the web site nightly to point to each
>>specific new build (more details below).
>>

> These two lings are farily static I think:
>  The 10.1 builds are at:
>
> http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/Apache/Derby-10.1/builds/
>
> The trunk  builds (10.2) are at:
> http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/Apache/Derby/builds/
>
> and should be separately linked from the downloads page.
> We wouldn't need a new link until 10.2 branched.

I agree that we should just have links from the Derby downloads page to
"my" Derby/builds/ and Derby-10.1/builds/ pages.
When we get another branch we will have to do some manual updates both
to the Derby download page and "my" pages anyway.

>>>2) I noticed the 10.1 page talks about the alpha flag which I think is
>>>not applicable.
>>>

>>Which page? could you provide the complete URL?
>>

> I was talking about Ole's 10.1 build page:
>
> http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/Apache/Derby-10.1/builds/
>

> Which in the description has information about both the branches and the trunk, so just before the build listing you see in red.
> *Warning!*
> The alpha version tag explicitly disables upgrade in Derby.
> It is not a big deal really but might be a little confusing to someone looking to download 10.1 to check out a fix.

I have now removed the text referring to the development trunk from the
10.1 branch builds page. (I did it manually on the page, and it will be
created this way next time we have a 10.1 branch update/build.)

--
Ole Solberg, Database Technology Group,
Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway

Re: [web] Request for website updates for nightly builds and javadoc

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Kathey Marsden wrote:
> I think it would be good from the download page to point to the nightly
> builds that Ole posts for users to try out if they want to be daring:
>
> 10.2 - http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/Apache/Derby/builds/
> 10.1 - http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/Apache/Derby-10.1/builds/

It would be easy for http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html to
point to an index of nightly builds on
http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/

It's hard to automatically rebuild the web site nightly to point to each
specific new build (more details below).

> I also think it would be good for the public API javadoc to be linked
> from the Manuals page.
> I know it is linked from the Papers page, but I don't think users would

I think this point is resolved in your followup post.

> Three questions:
> 1) Does anyone see any issue with linking these builds to the download
> page with suitable disclaimers?

Linking to each new build is a problem because the web site would need
to be automatically regenerated, committed, then checked out on
people.apache.org. (Details are in
http://www.apache.org/dev/project-site.html ; what isn't said is the ASF
infrastructure volunteers depend on built pages being checked into svn
so in the case of a system failure they can simply check the built
websites out of svn, possibly on a new machine.)

Linking from http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html to another
index page of the builds outside the Derby web site shouldn't be a
problem -- and disclaimers are needed. I think there might be an ASF
policy wrt to nightly builds. I'll chase it down if somebody doesn't
beat me to it.

> 2) I noticed the 10.1 page talks about the alpha flag which I think is
> not applicable.

Which page? could you provide the complete URL?

> 3)  Should I fiile this as  2 Jira issues or lump them together as one?

I think maybe a more generic issue is "how to make nightly builds
available".

 -jean