Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by "Roger Fischer (CW)" <rf...@Brocade.com> on 2017/09/05 16:44:47 UTC

Affinity and String key (was: SQLQuery with simple Join return no results)

Hi Denis,

I don’t quite understand your comment “If you use Strings as the keys you won’t get affinity collocation set up properly”.

I have an object with a plain String key, named switchId, and another object with a composite key, of which one field is switchId (of type String). I am using switchId as the affinity key, and it seems to work fine without distributed queries. Was this a coincident and I should re-test?

My understanding is that caches with no explicit affinity key use the key to distribute objects. For the plain-key cache this would be switchId.

So, if I have two caches, both with switchId as the key, I should get automatic collocation (no setup required). Correct?

And for the third cache, with the switchId field in the composite key as the affinity key, I should also get collocation (with the other two caches). Correct?

What am I missing?

BTW, I think there was a typo in the response (first sentence), and you meant to say “set up properly and _non_-distributed joins will return an incomplete result.”.

Roger

PS: My configuration (all XML):

        <property name="cacheKeyConfiguration">
            <list>
                <!-- ports cache -->
                <bean class="org.apache.ignite.cache.CacheKeyConfiguration">
                    <property name="typeName" value="com.abc.poc.inppoc.model.PortKey"/>
                    <property name="affinityKeyFieldName" value="switchId"/>
                </bean>
                <!-- switches cache uses default affinity key (id) -->
            </list>
        </property>

                <!-- ports cache -->
                <bean class="org.apache.ignite.configuration.CacheConfiguration">
                    <property name="name" value="PortCache"/>
                    <property name="cacheMode" value="PARTITIONED"/>
                    <property name="backups" value="1"/>

                    <!-- use affinity (on Switch ID) -->
                    <property name="affinity">
                        <bean class="org.apache.ignite.cache.affinity.rendezvous.RendezvousAffinityFunction">
                            <property name="partitions" value="1024"/>
                        </bean>
                    </property>

                    <!-- Port fields/columns -->
                    <property name="queryEntities">
                        <list>
                            <bean class="org.apache.ignite.cache.QueryEntity">
                                <property name="keyType" value="com.abc.poc.inppoc.model.PortKey"/>
                                <property name="valueType" value="com.abc.poc.inppoc.model.Port"/>
                                <property name="fields">
                                    …

                <!-- switches cache -->
                <bean class="org.apache.ignite.configuration.CacheConfiguration">
                    <property name="name" value="SwitchCache"/>
                    <property name="cacheMode" value="PARTITIONED"/>
                    <property name="backups" value="1"/>

                    <!-- use affinity (on Switch ID, ie primary key) -->
                    <property name="affinity">
                        <bean class="org.apache.ignite.cache.affinity.rendezvous.RendezvousAffinityFunction">
                            <property name="partitions" value="1024"/>
                        </bean>
                    </property>

                    <!-- Switch fields/columns -->
                    <property name="queryEntities">
                        <list>
                            <bean class="org.apache.ignite.cache.QueryEntity">
                                <property name="keyType" value="java.util.UUID"/>
                                <property name="valueType" value="com.brocade.poc.inppoc.model.Switch"/>
                                <property name="fields">
                                    …

PortKey.java:

public class PortKey implements Serializable {

    private UUID    id;        // port-id; PK
    private UUID    switchId;  // affinity key; not really part of PK

    …

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Hi Roger,

Please see inline

> On Sep 5, 2017, at 9:44 AM, Roger Fischer (CW) <rf...@Brocade.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Denis,
>
> I don’t quite understand your comment “If you use Strings as the keys you won’t get affinity collocation set up properly”.
>
> I have an object with a plain String key, named switchId, and another object with a composite key, of which one field is switchId (of type String). I am using switchId as the affinity key, and it seems to work fine without distributed queries. Was this a coincident and I should re-test?

Your understanding is correct. I thought you didn’t use the composite key.

> My understanding is that caches with no explicit affinity key use the key to distribute objects. For the plain-key cache this would be switchId.
>
> So, if I have two caches, both with switchId as the key, I should get automatic collocation (no setup required). Correct?

Yes if the AffinityFunction is the same across the caches.

> And for the third cache, with the switchId field in the composite key as the affinity key, I should also get collocation (with the other two caches). Correct?

Yes

Make sure cacheKeyConfiguration is set for every cache cache with the affinity key you have. Alternatively you can try @AffinityKeyMapped annotation by labeling required field. If nothing works please share a reproducer via GitHub with us.

> BTW, I think there was a typo in the response (first sentence), and you meant to say “set up properly and _non_-distributed joins will return an incomplete result.”.

I meant _collocated_ joins. In Ignite all the joins are considered to be distributed in a sense that queries are executed in the distributed fashion.

—
Denis