Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@anyware-tech.com> on 2008/04/17 18:15:58 UTC

IvyDE build

To everyone who is using a trunk version of IvyDE, I have introduced a build
system so you will be able to build it yourself (IVYDE-88). The build system
is based on the Eclipse one, so in order to build IvyDE you must have a
Eclipse installation (I have tested with Eclipse 3.2 and 3.3). And further
more you need to have an Ivy 2 bundle installed in the Eclipse installation.

Basically to install Ivy 2 into Eclipse, get somehow the Ivy jar that you want
to use (by building it yourself of getting it from the download page). And
then copy it into the plugins directory. So do something like:
cp ivy.jar ...../eclipse/plugins/org.apache.ivy_2.0.0.jar

Note that the layout changed under ivyde/trunk. Now the main plugin sources
are under the directory org.apache.ivyde.eclipse.

So to build IvyDE:
- go into your working copy of the trunk: cd ..../ivyde/trunk
- run: ant build -DbaseLocation=......./tools/eclipse

The baseLocation property is mandatory: it defines the path of you Eclipse
install you want to build with.

Then in the created directory "work" you will find a timestamped directory
(something like 200804171513) in which you will find the zip archive ready to
be unzip in a Eclipse install.

                                       ** -- **

Then I have some general questions.

I have changed the svn repsoitory layout. Everything which was under
ivyde/trunk is now under ivyde/trunk/org.apache.ivyde.eclipse. So the
CHANGES.txt is there. Shouldn't it be moved to the upper directory ?
under /ivyde/trunk ?
There is also LICENSE.txt. But I think it should stay there, shouldn't it ?
And there is the doc directory which contains the site documentation. I think
it could also be moved. WDYT ?

This is an introduction mail to the IvyDE build, but we mostly need a
documentation in the web site. So I would like to add a page and also make
the IvyDE website have a similar hierarchy to the Ivy one. So we would have
a "Documentation" and "Get involved" categories.
Currently there is
    o Editor
    o Classpath Container
    o Use with maven poms
* Download
* Issue Tracking

So it would become:
* Download
* Documentation
    o Editor
    o Classpath Container
    o Use with maven poms
* Get Involved
    o Issue Tracking
    o Building

WDYT ?

And finally I have a xooki question. First is there any documentation about
xooki apart from these pages ?
http://xooki.sourceforge.net/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/write-doc.html
And how do I add a main category ? Should I edit directly the json ?

cheers,
Nicolas

Re: IvyDE build

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 3:10 PM, Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>
wrote:

> This is an introduction mail to the IvyDE build, but we mostly need a
> > > documentation in the web site. So I would like to add a page and also
> > > make
> > > the IvyDE website have a similar hierarchy to the Ivy one. So we would
> > > have
> > > a "Documentation" and "Get involved" categories.
> > > Currently there is
> > >  o Editor
> > >  o Classpath Container
> > >  o Use with maven poms
> > > * Download
> > > * Issue Tracking
> > >
> > > So it would become:
> > > * Download
> > > * Documentation
> > >  o Editor
> > >  o Classpath Container
> > >  o Use with maven poms
> > > * Get Involved
> > >  o Issue Tracking
> > >  o Building
> > >
> > > WDYT ?
> > >

> > +1. We could even add a page called mailing lists, telling that they are
> > shared with Ivy core and pointing to the right location.
> >

> Yep good idea.
> And then about the actual folders layout, why not splitting documentation
> and site as Ivy does ? And so introduce history, and keeping the IvyDE 1.2
> doc on the web site.
> The folders in svn would look like:
>
> ivyde/
>  site/
>    index.html (an new home page which would be "version agnostic")
>    documentation/ (svn:external to trunk/doc)
>    history/
>      1.2.0 (svn:external to branches/1.2.0/doc)
>  trunk/
>    org.apache.ivyde.eclipse/
>    org.apache.ivyde.feature/
>    builder/
>    doc/
>  branches/
>    1.2.0/
>      doc/
>        index.html  (svn cp of trunk/org.apache.eclipse.ivyde/doc/)
>        cp_container.html (svn cp)
>        editor.html (svn cp)
>        maven.html (svn cp)
>

> And then have /ant/ivy/site/ivyde be an svn:externals to
> /ant/ivy/ivyde/site
> Or maybe we could even avoid that external reference and put directly the
> main ivyde pages into /ant/ivy/site/ivyde.
>
> WDYT ?

Sounds fine, I was thinking we could keep it simpler until we actually have
the need to split site from doc, but I agree it'd be cleaner to go to
splitted site/doc now.

> And by the way, how the live site is updated ? Does every change in svn is
> automatically propagated to the web site ?

No, the live site is first generated, and put in ivy/site/target. Then we
commit the target dir, and update the live site with a svn up. Automating
all of this could be interesting, but it requires ant 1.7 which is not
available on people.a.o AFAIK.

> > > And finally I have a xooki question. First is there any documentation
> > > about
> > > xooki apart from these pages ?
> > > http://xooki.sourceforge.net/
> > > http://ant.apache.org/ivy/write-doc.html
> > >

> > Nope, nothing else. But I can answer questions :-)
> >

> he :)
>
> And as you spread your knowledge, where could I "serialize" it ?
> here : http://ant.apache.org/ivy/write-doc.html ?

Yes, I think it's a good place.

> >  <http://ant.apache.org/ivy/write-doc.html>
> > > And how do I add a main category ? Should I edit directly the json ?
> > >

> > A Main category is like a page, you can add it using the + button. If
> > you
> > want to have a node with no content (like Ivy/history/2.x) you have to
> > edit
> > toc.json by hand and add "isAbstract":true, to the node.
> >

> ok. But when I do it, the created page is always under the "Home"
> category. And I want to create a root category.

Indeed, in this case you have to edit the toc.json by hand.

Xavier

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/

Re: IvyDE build

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
Le 18 avr. 08 à 10:40, Xavier Hanin a écrit :

> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 6:15 PM, Nicolas Lalevée <
> nicolas.lalevee@anyware-tech.com> wrote:
>
>> To everyone who is using a trunk version of IvyDE, I have
>> introduced a
>> build
>> system so you will be able to build it yourself (IVYDE-88). The build
>> system
>> is based on the Eclipse one, so in order to build IvyDE you must
>> have a
>> Eclipse installation (I have tested with Eclipse 3.2 and 3.3). And
>> further
>> more you need to have an Ivy 2 bundle installed in the Eclipse
>> installation.
>>
>> Basically to install Ivy 2 into Eclipse, get somehow the Ivy jar
>> that you
>> want
>> to use (by building it yourself of getting it from the download
>> page). And
>> then copy it into the plugins directory. So do something like:
>> cp ivy.jar ...../eclipse/plugins/org.apache.ivy_2.0.0.jar
>>
>> Note that the layout changed under ivyde/trunk. Now the main plugin
>> sources
>> are under the directory org.apache.ivyde.eclipse.
>>
>> So to build IvyDE:
>> - go into your working copy of the trunk: cd ..../ivyde/trunk
>> - run: ant build -DbaseLocation=......./tools/eclipse
>>
>> The baseLocation property is mandatory: it defines the path of you
>> Eclipse
>> install you want to build with.
>>
>> Then in the created directory "work" you will find a timestamped
>> directory
>> (something like 200804171513) in which you will find the zip
>> archive ready
>> be unzip in a Eclipse install.
>
> Good job! I haven't had time to test yet, but it's nice to have a
> clean
> scripted build for IvyDE!

Well, it is not that clean. There are some useless copy of the sources
and the requirement to have Ivy in the plugins directory.
But yeah, at least it is a reproductible build. :)

>>                                      ** -- **
>>
>> Then I have some general questions.
>>
>> I have changed the svn repsoitory layout. Everything which was under
>> ivyde/trunk is now under ivyde/trunk/org.apache.ivyde.eclipse. So the
>> CHANGES.txt is there. Shouldn't it be moved to the upper directory ?
>> under /ivyde/trunk ?
>
> It depends what you put in this changes file, and how things are
> released.
> ATM IvyDE is only an eclipse plugin, so I think keeping the
> CHANGES.txt in
> the org.apache.ivyde.eclipse directory makes sense.
>

>> There is also LICENSE.txt. But I think it should stay there,
>> shouldn't it
>> ?
>
> I think so too.

ok, so let's keep them where they are.

>> And there is the doc directory which contains the site
>> documentation. I
>> think
>> it could also be moved. WDYT ?
>
> It makes sense to move it under ivyde/trunk. Maybe it could be
> renamed to
> site instead of doc, since it contains the whole IvyDE site, and not
> only
> documentation (in Ivy core we have separated the site from the doc).
> Note
> that we will have to update the svn:externals property on ivy site
> directory
> to point to the new location.

Ah. In fact already I broke it with the last change. Moving again the
doc folder will actually fix it.

Re: IvyDE build

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 6:15 PM, Nicolas Lalevée <
nicolas.lalevee@anyware-tech.com> wrote:

> To everyone who is using a trunk version of IvyDE, I have introduced a
> build
> system so you will be able to build it yourself (IVYDE-88). The build
> system
> is based on the Eclipse one, so in order to build IvyDE you must have a
> Eclipse installation (I have tested with Eclipse 3.2 and 3.3). And further
> more you need to have an Ivy 2 bundle installed in the Eclipse
> installation.
>
> Basically to install Ivy 2 into Eclipse, get somehow the Ivy jar that you
> want
> to use (by building it yourself of getting it from the download page). And
> then copy it into the plugins directory. So do something like:
> cp ivy.jar ...../eclipse/plugins/org.apache.ivy_2.0.0.jar
>
> Note that the layout changed under ivyde/trunk. Now the main plugin
> sources
> are under the directory org.apache.ivyde.eclipse.
>
> So to build IvyDE:
> - go into your working copy of the trunk: cd ..../ivyde/trunk
> - run: ant build -DbaseLocation=......./tools/eclipse
>
> The baseLocation property is mandatory: it defines the path of you Eclipse
> install you want to build with.
>
> Then in the created directory "work" you will find a timestamped directory
> (something like 200804171513) in which you will find the zip archive ready
> be unzip in a Eclipse install.

Good job! I haven't had time to test yet, but it's nice to have a clean
scripted build for IvyDE!

>                                       ** -- **
>
> Then I have some general questions.
>
> I have changed the svn repsoitory layout. Everything which was under
> ivyde/trunk is now under ivyde/trunk/org.apache.ivyde.eclipse. So the
> CHANGES.txt is there. Shouldn't it be moved to the upper directory ?
> under /ivyde/trunk ?

It depends what you put in this changes file, and how things are released.
ATM IvyDE is only an eclipse plugin, so I think keeping the CHANGES.txt in
the org.apache.ivyde.eclipse directory makes sense.

> There is also LICENSE.txt. But I think it should stay there, shouldn't it
> ?

I think so too.

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/