Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/10 17:43:50 UTC

Key components of developer guide are blank!

IF you editing this page recently please take a look.
https://cwiki.apache.org/Hive/developerguide.html

Re: Key components of developer guide are blank!

Posted by Lefty Leverenz <le...@gmail.com>.
More problems:  In the non-display wiki the language manual's docs *Union*,
*Sub Queries*, *Sampling*, and *Virtual Columns* give "404 Not Found" but
they're fine in the display wiki.

- Union <https://cwiki.apache.org/Hive/languagemanual-union.html>
- Sub Queries <https://cwiki.apache.org/Hive/languagemanual-subqueries.html>
- Sampling <https://cwiki.apache.org/Hive/languagemanual-sampling.html>
- Virtual Columns<https://cwiki.apache.org/Hive/languagemanual-virtualcolumns.html>

Maybe more, I don't have time for a thorough check right now.  -- Lefty

Posted by Lefty Leverenz <le...@gmail.com>.
Now I see the problem.  Well, in the Safari browser code samples appear
throughout the *Compiling and Running Hive* section but *only on the
"display" version* (https://cwiki.apache.org/*confluence/display*/Hive/...),
not on the wiki URL that you gave (https://cwiki.apache.org/Hive/):

-  Looks fine:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/DeveloperGuide#DeveloperGuide-CompilingandRunningHive

-  Missing code samples:
https://cwiki.apache.org/Hive/developerguide.html#DeveloperGuide-CompilingandRunningHive

In other docs, if the code sample markup is {noformat} then the code
appears in both versions of the wiki, but if it's {code} then it only
appears in the display version.  Safari shows {code} in a dashed-line box
and {noformat} in a solid-line box.  Examples:

1.  Joins doc uses {code}:
https://cwiki.apache.org/Hive/languagemanual-joins.html

2.  HCat load/store doc uses {noformat}:
https://cwiki.apache.org/Hive/hcatalog-loadstore.html

And that reminds me, several weeks ago {code} was broken even in the
display version, so I changed some docs to {noformat}.  It's in the edit
comments for the pages I changed, so I could find when that was fairly
easily.  But then {code} started working again.  Maybe it's half-broken now.

On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 1:17 PM, Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I mean to say in my firefox browser I see this:
>
> Running Hive Without a Hadoop Cluster
>
> From Thejas:
>
> Then you can run 'build/dist/bin/hive' and it will work against your local
> file system.
> The section which lists the commands are empty.
>

> On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 12:56 PM, Lefty Leverenz <leftyleverenz@gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Those sections have been blank since 2011 (beginning of Page History):
> >
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=27820469.
> >

> > On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 11:43 AM, Edward Capriolo <edlinuxguru@gmail.com
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > IF you editing this page recently please take a look.
> > > https://cwiki.apache.org/Hive/developerguide.html
> > >

> > -- Lefty

-- Lefty

Re: Key components of developer guide are blank!

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lefty Leverenz <le...@gmail.com>.