Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Cindy Ballreich <ci...@ballreich.net> on 2002/09/26 01:46:16 UTC

forwarding to a page anchor

I'd like to forward to an anchor <a name="anchorName"> in a jsp page, but I keep getting a 404 error when I try to do it. It works from the browser, but not from the server. Is it possible to forward to a page anchor like this?

RequestDispatcher rd =
    request.getRequestDispatcher("/page.jsp#anchorName");
rd.forward(request, response);

Thanks

Cindy

Re: forwarding to a page anchor

Posted by Bill Barker <re...@verizon.net>.
Duh, no.  Anchor tags are only meaningful to the browser.  They are stripped
from the request to the server (for e.g. <a href="mypage.jsp#anchorName>).
Using a RequestDispacher with an anchor will give a 404 error on all
versions of Tomcat.  This is by design (since server-side it can't possibly
do what you think you want it to do :).  Alternatives are:
1) use response.sendRedirect (so that the browser controls the anchor)
instead of rd.forward.
2) re-write page.jsp so that doing a:
<jsp:forward page="/page.jsp">
  <jsp:param name="anchor" value="<%= anchorName %>" />
</jsp:forward>
has the proper JavaScript code to scroll to the "anchorName" tag.