Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by chenwenhui <c7...@163.com> on 2014/08/17 14:30:14 UTC

Will the two new daughter regions reference to the HFile of parent region after splitting?

The parent region is removed after splitting, but no major compaction to split the HFile of parent region,  will the new two daughter regions refrence to the same HFile?
If so,  assuming a daughter region is moved to another machine via master balance, whether or not a major compaction will happen  and the parent HFile will be split into two small HFile?

Re:Will the two new daughter regions reference to the HFile of parent region after splitting?

Posted by chenwenhui <c7...@163.com>.
Hi Ted,
I have a question as follows after reading the article.
In the steps which How Region Splits are implemented, both the 7th and 9th step update the .META. table, but it is very unclear to understand what difference is the information updated by per step. Can you give some concrete detail? such as which field of which range is update in which step?

Re:Re: Will the two new daughter regions reference to the HFile of parent region after splitting?

Posted by chenwenhui <c7...@163.com>.

Hi Ted,
Thanks, the article is fairly nice.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.