Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Eiji Takahashi <ma...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/25 09:30:49 UTC

Interpretation of CLA

Hi all,

We have a couple of questions about CLA.

Assume that we sent ICLA and CCLA to ASF and we contributed the code
to one of ASF community.
1) If our contribution(s) contain our patent, do we need to grant our
patent to the ASF products?
 "the ASF products"
   Case 1) contain our contribution(s):
   Case 2) combine the product containing our contribution(s):
   Case 3) not contain our contributions(s) and not infringe our patent:
   Case 4) infringe our patent and not contain our contribution(s):

2) What should we do to rescind the CLAs?
   Is there other agreement for the cancellation of the CLAs?

Best regards.

Eiji.

Re: Interpretation of CLA

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 3:30 AM, Eiji Takahashi <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We have a couple of questions about CLA.
>
> Assume that we sent ICLA and CCLA to ASF and we contributed the code
> to one of ASF community.
> 1) If our contribution(s) contain our patent, do we need to grant our
> patent to the ASF products?
>  "the ASF products"
>   Case 1) contain our contribution(s):
>   Case 2) combine the product containing our contribution(s):
>   Case 3) not contain our contributions(s) and not infringe our patent:
>   Case 4) infringe our patent and not contain our contribution(s):

Please refer to this FAQ entry:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html#PatentScope

> 2) What should we do to rescind the CLAs?
>   Is there other agreement for the cancellation of the CLAs?

Patent and copyright licenses granted by the ICLA are irrevocable:

http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt

> Best regards.
>
> Eiji.

- Sam Ruby