Posted to user@jspwiki.apache.org by Carol Hassler <Ca...@wicourts.gov> on 2012/05/22 22:58:20 UTC

archiving our wiki

My organization would like to archive/export our wiki in some kind of
end-user friendly format. The concept is to copy the wiki contents
annually to a format that can be used on any standard computer in case
of an emergency (i.e. saved as an HTML web-style archive, saved as PDF
files, saved as Word files).

Another way to put it is that we are looking for a way to export the
contents of the wiki into a printer-friendly format - to a document that
maintains some organization and formatting and can be used on any
standard computer.

Is anybody aware of a tool out there that would allow for this sort of
mass export? Our wiki is large and we would prefer not to do this type
of export one page at a time.

Thanks!

Re: archiving our wiki

Posted by Andrew Higgins <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Carol.

Have you looked at Siegfried Goeschl's Wiki On A
Stick<https://github.com/sgoeschl/jspwiki-on-a-stick>?
We use it to put a copy of our wiki on a USB flash drive that can be
plugged into any PC with Java installed.  We avoid the page by page
transfer by zipping our page directory and then extracting it to the flash
drive.  You can also put WOAS and your pages on a CD instead of a flash
drive.

hth
Andy

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 3:58 PM, Carol Hassler
<Ca...@wicourts.gov>wrote:

>  My organization would like to archive/export our wiki...

Re: archiving our wiki

Posted by Lo...@log-net.com.
I have a batch file that nightly submits page (not file) changes into
perforce.  If you want to take a look at that I can send you the file.

"Carol Hassler" <Ca...@wicourts.gov> wrote on 2012-05-22 04:58:20

Re: archiving our wiki

Posted by Florian Holeczek <fl...@holeczek.de>.
Hi Carol,

you could give some website download tool like HTTrack a try.

But which format is more interoperable and timeless than simple text like wiki text is? I'd simply archive the page and attachment repository and maybe add a copy of the current wiki server installation.

Regarding printer-friendliness, there's an inherent problem: Wikis are hypertext, which is not in a linear form like printed text. It's hard to serialize hypertext for printing it out in an order that makes sense, at least in general and without further semantic markup.

Another possibility which just came to my mind is (mis-)using the JCR export tool. It's producing XML, which could then probably be XSL-transformed into a suitable format. However, keep in mind that this is just a helper tool which was written for migrating a wiki to a future JCR backend.

Regards
 Florian