Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/20 01:24:19 UTC

SSL and Apache Httpd 2.4.7 [was Re: 2.4.8 This Month]

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 7:09 PM, Dr Stephen Henson
<sh...@opensslfoundation.com> wrote:
> On 19/02/2014 23:54, Tom Browder wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 11:21 AM, Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Hm, I thought I tried that but I'll recheck and configure with:
>>>
>>>   --with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl
>>
>> Bummer!
>>
>> When I did that, I get this:
>>
>> checking for OpenSSL... checking for user-provided OpenSSL base
..
>> checking for OpenSSL version >= 0.9.7... OK

> Well something is wrong there with it indicating OpenSSL version 0.9.7. If you
> intend to use the FIPS 2.0 module you must use OpenSSL 1.0.1.

That doesn't mean its using 0.9.7.  As a matter of fact my Debian
installed OpenSSL is 1.0.1e, and Im trying to use 1.0.1.f FIPS.

But now I get a failure to build Apache:

/usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.a(c_zlib.o): In function `bio_zlib_free':
c_zlib.c:(.text+0x4d): undefined reference to `inflateEnd'
c_zlib.c:(.text+0x69): undefined reference to `deflateEnd'
/usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.a(c_zlib.o): In function `bio_zlib_ctrl':
c_zlib.c:(.text+0x24e): undefined reference to `deflate'
c_zlib.c:(.text+0x338): undefined reference to `zError'

So should I just kiss off Open SSL FIPS and Apache?

-Tom

Re: SSL and Apache Httpd 2.4.7 [was Re: 2.4.8 This Month]

Posted by Dr Stephen Henson <sh...@opensslfoundation.com>.
On 20/02/2014 00:24, Tom Browder wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 7:09 PM, Dr Stephen Henson
> <sh...@opensslfoundation.com> wrote:

>>> Bummer!
>>>
>>> When I did that, I get this:
>>>
>>> checking for OpenSSL... checking for user-provided OpenSSL base
> ..
>>> checking for OpenSSL version >= 0.9.7... OK
>
>> Well something is wrong there with it indicating OpenSSL version 0.9.7. If you
>> intend to use the FIPS 2.0 module you must use OpenSSL 1.0.1.
>
> That doesn't mean its using 0.9.7.  As a matter of fact my Debian
> installed OpenSSL is 1.0.1e, and Im trying to use 1.0.1.f FIPS.
>
> But now I get a failure to build Apache:
>
> /usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.a(c_zlib.o): In function `bio_zlib_free':
> c_zlib.c:(.text+0x4d): undefined reference to `inflateEnd'
> c_zlib.c:(.text+0x69): undefined reference to `deflateEnd'
> /usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.a(c_zlib.o): In function `bio_zlib_ctrl':
> c_zlib.c:(.text+0x24e): undefined reference to `deflate'
> c_zlib.c:(.text+0x338): undefined reference to `zError'
>
> So should I just kiss off Open SSL FIPS and Apache?

What options did you use to configure OpenSSL? That looks like it has been
configured to use a static link to zlib. Do you need zlib support?

Steve.
--
Dr Stephen Henson. OpenSSL Software Foundation, Inc.
1829 Mount Ephraim Road

Re: SSL and Apache Httpd 2.4.7 [was Re: 2.4.8 This Month]

Posted by Dr Stephen Henson <sh...@opensslfoundation.com>.
On 20/02/2014 02:21, Tom Browder wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 9:11 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. <wm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> You could try tweaking the deployed /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/openssl.pc file
>> to include -lz in Libs: (just after -ldl), and then re-./configure
>
> I'll first see if I can get a good SSL to work.  So far no build
> problems after I took out the zlib configure options with
> openssl/openssl-fips.  I'll try my shiny new apache 2.4.7 and SSL
> tomorrow morning.
>
> The zlib is not that important to me at the moment--it just seemed a
> reasonable option when I first started this venture.

Ah... there was a recent fix for this which hasn't yet appeared in an official
OpenSSL release. This means that configuring OpenSSL with "zlib" wont create
correct *.pc files. The "zlib-dynamic" option (which links to zlib at runtime in
OpenSSL) should be OK though.

Steve.

Posted by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 9:11 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. <wm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You could try tweaking the deployed /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/openssl.pc file
> to include -lz in Libs: (just after -ldl), and then re-./configure

I'll first see if I can get a good SSL to work.  So far no build
problems after I took out the zlib configure options with
openssl/openssl-fips.  I'll try my shiny new apache 2.4.7 and SSL
tomorrow morning.

The zlib is not that important to me at the moment--it just seemed a
reasonable option when I first started this venture.

Thanks for the advice.

Posted by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 1:04 PM, Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 11:45 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. <wm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Output from ldd /user/local/bin/httpd ?

My system is up and running and serving https using the system openssl library.

I would like to use my compiled version of openssl if anyone can tell
me how to do it.

I'll probably come back to this issue later but I have to move on for
the moment.

Thanks so much for your patience!

Best regards,

Posted by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 11:45 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. <wm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Output from ldd /user/local/bin/httpd ?

linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xb77a9000)
libpcre.so.1 => /usr/local/lib/libpcre.so.1 (0xb7782000)
libaprutil-1.so.0 => /usr/local/apache2/lib/libaprutil-1.so.0 (0xb775c000)
libexpat.so.1 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libexpat.so.1 (0xb7733000)
libapr-1.so.0 => /usr/local/apache2/lib/libapr-1.so.0 (0xb76ff000)
librt.so.1 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/librt.so.1 (0xb76f6000)
libcrypt.so.1 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libcrypt.so.1 (0xb76c4000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libpthread.so.0 (0xb76ab000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libdl.so.2 (0xb76a6000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libc.so.6 (0xb7542000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb77aa000)

I checked this before.  It looks like libssl is being dropped due to
the conflicting libraries.

I've tried addind LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/ssl/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
to my /usr/local/apache2/bin/envvars file bu that didn't work.

My config log shows apr and apr-util getting the new libssl, but the
server doesn't.

Does the server need an rpath statement in its link line?  I don't see one.

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wm...@gmail.com>.
Output from ldd /user/local/bin/httpd ?

mod_ssl and aprutil-1.so aught to have the right rpath to resolve.  One of
your other libs is bound to openssl, as I warned you before about
libldap/lber.

Re: SSL and Apache Httpd 2.4.7 [was Re: 2.4.8 This Month]

Posted by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 6:35 AM, Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 1:50 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. <wm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> There is no embedded.  httpd-2.2 included apr, apr-util.  httpd-2.4 by
>> vote of the PMC excluded apr, apr-util, so you might be imagining
>
> Sorry, sloppy terminology: I built httpd with apr and apr-util inside
> its tree, i.e., with configuration option:
>
>   --with-included-apr

Okay, I started over and it looks like I have a good shared library set up.

Here is a fragment of my httpd configuration log:

checking whether to enable mod_ssl... checking dependencies
checking for OpenSSL... checking for user-provided OpenSSL base
directory... /usr/local/ssl
  adding "-I/usr/local/ssl/include" to CPPFLAGS
  setting MOD_CFLAGS to "-I/usr/local/ssl/include"
  setting ab_CFLAGS to "-I/usr/local/ssl/include"
  adding "-L/usr/local/ssl/lib" to LDFLAGS
  setting MOD_LDFLAGS to "-L/usr/local/ssl/lib"
  adding "-lssl" to MOD_LDFLAGS
  setting LIBS to "-lssl -lcrypto  -lrt -lcrypt  -lpthread -ldl"
  forcing ab_LDFLAGS to "-L/usr/local/ssl/lib -lssl -lcrypto -lrt
-lcrypt -lpthread -ldl"
checking openssl/engine.h usability... yes

However, when I start httpd I get this message in my error.log:

[Thu Feb 20 10:45:19.104311 2014] [ssl:warn] [pid 8992:tid 3075369280]
AH01882: Init: this version of mod_ssl was compiled against a newer
library (OpenSSL 1.0.1f 6 Jan 2014, version currently loaded is
OpenSSL 1.0.1e 11 Feb 2013) - may result in undefined or erroneous
behavior
[Thu Feb 20 10:45:19.104451 2014] [ssl:debug] [pid 8992:tid
3075369280] ssl_engine_pphrase.c(181): AH02199: SSL not enabled on
vhost tbrowde.net:80, skipping SSL setup

So how can I force httpd to load the new library?  I know I can use
tricks with a wrapper script and LD_LIBRARY_CONFIG but is there
something I can do in the configuration step instead?

Otherwise I guess I can fall back to the package installed version of
ssl (bummer).

(BTW, my host is Debian Linux 7, 32-bit.)

Thanks.

-Tom

P.S. I  can include all configuration and build logs and confiuration
options used for openssl and httpd if wanted.

Re: SSL and Apache Httpd 2.4.7 [was Re: 2.4.8 This Month]

Posted by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wm...@gmail.com>.
There is no embedded.  httpd-2.2 included apr, apr-util.  httpd-2.4 by
vote of the PMC excluded apr, apr-util, so you might be imagining
things.  Or RM's are doing some goofy things.

Posted by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wm...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 8:51 PM, Dr Stephen Henson
<sh...@opensslfoundation.com> wrote:

> On 20/02/2014 02:40, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
> > First insight, did you ./config openssl, or ./config shared?  It seems near
> > impossible to use static openssl.  apr-util configure will fail since pkgconfig
> > isn't consulted properly.  httpd configure would also likely fail for redundant
> > symbols.
> >

> A static OpenSSL FIPS build will also have problems as statically built FIPS
> applications need to be linked with fipsld. It will appear to work until you try
> to enable FIPS mode and you'll then get a fatal "signature does not match" error.
>
> If you build and install a shared version of the FIPS capable OpenSSL this
> shouldn't happen.

Uhm, with one caveat... did the missing --noexecstack Configure.PL
bugs (for -Wa and -Wl,-z) ever get resolved?  Certain death under any
modern gcc for a relocatable libcrypto.so containing the fips
self-check code.

Re: SSL and Apache Httpd 2.4.7 [was Re: 2.4.8 This Month]

Posted by Dr Stephen Henson <sh...@opensslfoundation.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wm...@gmail.com>.
[...]

p.s interestingly, openssl 1.0.1f make install_docs totally fails at
man1/cms.1 with 'expected text after =item, not a number' under Fedora 20.
 Not that I attempt that arch for anything of substance.

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dr Stephen Henson <sh...@opensslfoundation.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wm...@gmail.com>.
No, it isn't muddying things, this should just work.  So you are building
your own openssl.  Are you certain your build of ssl and build of httpd and
apr are using the same 32 or 64 bit memory model?  That's one obvious
reason where ld will fail.  And the zlib, expat and pcre you resolve to
must also match.  Please also answer the questions about os/rev level etc.

Posted by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wm...@gmail.com>.
Odd, there is something going on here.  I am wondering if this fails to
resolve zlib libraries?  Also don't concern yourself with the 0.9.7 check,
you met it (>=) with 1.0.1.  Somehow, it didn't resolve the ssl library
files initially given

adding "-L/usr/local/ssl/lib" to LDFLAGS
setting LIBS to "-lssl -lcrypto  -lrt -lcrypt  -lpthread -ldl"

so question one, do these resolve.  Question two, why isn't -lz in the
list? That's a packager's defect in your openssl-devel lib/openssl.pc file.

Did you install zlib-devel or the equivilant?

Let me make sure we understand right, you are looking at the httpd-2.4.7
package from the downloads, not an svn or git checkout, correct?

What OS/rev level/distribution are you building under?