Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> on 2006/07/30 18:35:41 UTC

SVN Commit log messages, was: SVN Commits

ant elder wrote:
> After being away I've been trying to catch up on all the changes and for
> some commits its not so easy to work out whats going on.
>
> Big commits including multiple changes and vague or brief commit messages
> make it really difficult to review changes. There was an Subversion Best
> Practices talk at ApacheCon which talked about this pointing out the
> importance of making it easy to review changes, especially with the
> Commit-Then-Review style of working used be most Apache projects. The
> talk
> pointed out things like: Commits should be for discrete changes with
> commit
> log messages that make it easy to understand the change. Its not so
> hard to
> do several commits instead of one big one, especially if you commit early
> and often, and that also makes development more open than just committing
> big chunks of finished function which has been developed off line.
> There's
> also plenty of space in the commit log comments for whole sentences
> ... or
> even several sentences if its a non trivial change.
>
> Does this all sound like reasonable approach to everyone?
>
>   ...ant

This sounds good to me.

I'd also like to propose that we follow the following guidelines for SVN
log messages, from the Subversion project itself:

Log messages - http://subversion.tigris.org/hacking.html#log-messages
Crediting - http://subversion.tigris.org/hacking.html#crediting

Following the guidelines described under "Crediting" will help identify
potential new committers. The Subversion project uses a script (see
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/tools/dev/contribulyze.py) to
parse the SVN logs and generate a list of contributors and patches that
they have submitted. I think that it would be useful to do the same.

In addition, SVN log messages should contain the relevant TUSCANY-<JIRA
issue number>. Then JIRA will automatically list the SVN commits under
the mentioned JIRA issues.

Any thoughts?

--
Jean-Sebastien