Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by "Christoph Gaffga (triplemind.com)" <cg...@triplemind.com> on 2008/06/12 12:00:31 UTC

Re: Objects inherited in subrequests

Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
> Therefore I would like to propose introduction of a new scope called
> "request-inheritable" which would allow beans (like ObjectModel) to be
> inherited but by cloning.
>
> What do you think?

hmm, just tried to solve that problem and found that in
IncludeTransformer it works with threading and parallel processing. Only
for the DefaultIncludeCacheManager we are using in our replacement for
the aggregator to do parallel aggregation it is broken since version 2.2.

So I decided to patch the DefaultIncludeCacheManager to work in the same
way as the IncludeTransformer does, by setting up the child threads with
the same context/environment:

   // Setup this thread's environment
   RequestContextHolder.setRequestAttributes(
                             this.session.getRequestAttributes());
   EnvironmentHelper.enterProcessor(this.session.getProcessor(),
                             this.session.getEnvironment());

I'll test this out, and if it work's I send in the patch.

Christoph

Re: Objects inherited in subrequests

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com>.
imran pisze:
> Hello all
>
> Grzegorz as u wrote...
>
> Therefore I would like to propose introduction of a new scope called
> "request-inheritable" which
> would allow beans (like ObjectModel) to be inherited but by cloning.
>
> can you please elaborate on that ... coz thats where we are stuck ...
> if u have a look at the AbstractInterpreter.java file
>
> public void forwardTo(String uri, Object bizData,
>                          WebContinuation continuation,
>                          Redirector redirector)
>    throws Exception {
>        if (SourceUtil.indexOfSchemeColon(uri) == -1) {
>            uri = "cocoon:/" + uri;
>            final Map objectModel =
> this.processInfoProvider.getObjectModel();
>            FlowHelper.setWebContinuation(objectModel, newObjectModel,
> continuation);
>            FlowHelper.setContextObject(objectModel, newObjectModel,
> bizData);
>            if (redirector.hasRedirected()) {
>                throw new IllegalStateException("Pipeline has already
> been processed for this request");
>            }
>            // this is a hint for the redirector
>            objectModel.put("cocoon:forward", "true");
>            redirector.redirect(false, uri);
>        } else {
>            throw new Exception("uri is not allowed to contain a scheme
> (cocoon:/ is always automatically used)");
>        }
>    }
> so the instance of newObjectModel is the one from the bean factory ...
> and if u have multithreading then all the threads change that
> objectmodel simultaneously and then finally the objectmodel coming to
> the JXTemplategenerator(Injected by spring) is not thread specific ...
> in the setup method of the generator class we replace the objectmodel
> injected by spring with the one passed with that method ... after doing
> this the errors are not that frequent .. but they are still there :( ..
> its still being modified by some other threads ...
>

> Could you please let us know how do u intend to implement ur proposed
> solution

Just wanted to let you know that I know this stuff really well (I've worked on ObjectModel last
summer) so surely can give you some tips and precise instructions.

This won't happen now as I'm leaving but I'll try to explain my thoughts tomorrow after I check
everything against Cocoon's source code.

--
Best regards,
Grzegorz Kossakowski

Re: Objects inherited in subrequests

Posted by imran <ip...@triplemind.com>.
imran wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Therefore I suggest that you provide me a simple application that
>> exhibits this problem so I can test my fixes and track the whole bug.
>> I suggest creation of two different scenarios where one will use
>> cocoon: protocol and another will use servlet: protocol.
>>
>> The most preferred way of providing me this test-cases would be to
>> prepare two ITs as it's done in
>> http://svn.eu.apache.org/viewvc/cocoon/trunk/blocks/cocoon-it/
>> http://svn.eu.apache.org/viewvc/cocoon/trunk/core/cocoon-webapp/src/test/java/org/apache/cocoon/it/
>>

>> In the first location you add sitemap entries and other resources
>> that you usually at to your block, and in the webapp you create a
>> test-case that tests expected behavior.
>>
>> As soon as you provide me such test-cases (as a patch in JIRA) I'll
>> start working on this problem.
>>

> Grzegorz, i have attached the testcase to the issue
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-2216
>
> i have attached three files .. test-block is the main block .. webapp
> is for running that block .. before that u will have to apply the
> patch cocoon-trunk.patch to cocoon other wise it wont work at all ...
> for both the block perform mvn install .. and then from webapp block
> mvn jetty:run
>
> so the page
>
> http://localhost:8888/test-block/index.html
>
> is generated using the parallel generator .. if ur lucky and dont get
> the error the first time then just refresh and am sure the error will
> be there .. there are five components included in that page ... out of
> which 4 are normal jx components and the fifth one is cforms component
> ... all the jx component have been assigned different instance of the
> same object but still the properties displayed on the page shows the
> same value(they should be different) .. if u execute query for these
> components individually then they appear without any error .. links
> for querying them individually
>
> [jx components .. shows xml output .. forgot to add the pipeline to
> serialize it to html.. u can add one]
> http://localhost:8888/test-block/showjx
> http://localhost:8888/test-block/showjx1
> http://localhost:8888/test-block/showjx2
> http://localhost:8888/test-block/showjx3
>
> [cforms component]
> http://localhost:8888/test-block/form2bean.flow
>
> most of the time we get the error
> Caused by: org.apache.commons.jxpath.JXPathException: No value for
> xpath: $cocoon/continuation/id
> its because the objectmodel is being changed by all the components
> simultaneously ....the error is there on the logs not on the page ..
> on the page it will just ignore that component
>
> u can change the line 427 in the class TestContentAggregator in the
> main block ... this.parameters.setParameter("parallel", "true");
> change that to false and it will execute them in sequential and then
> the errors are gone ...
>
> Would greatly appreciate it if you could have a look and try to

Hi Grzegorz,

Any luck with the implementation of the objectmodel for the new scope ..
were u able to execute the sample application i provided if yes then
were u able to reproduce the error ? .. please do let me know .. if you
are busy with something else then can you please point me to the right
direction with basic idea of how to implement a new objectmodel which is
thread specific ..

thanks and regards

Re: Objects inherited in subrequests

Posted by imran <ip...@triplemind.com>.

[...]