Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Jim Collins <ja...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2003/06/18 21:26:08 UTC

OT Problem Domain question

Hi,

I was wondering if Web Services would be applicable for the following
problem.

I have a number of clients that receive an XML datafeed. This datafeed can
change due to various circumstances and I would like all the clients to be
notified of any change. Would it be possible for a Web Service to notify all
clients of a change or would the clients need to continually poll the Web
Service for any changes.

Regards

Jim.

Re: OT Problem Domain question

Posted by James Black <jb...@ieee.org>.
Jim Collins wrote:

>I have a number of clients that receive an XML datafeed. This datafeed can
>change due to various circumstances and I would like all the clients to be
>notified of any change. Would it be possible for a Web Service to notify all
>clients of a change or would the clients need to continually poll the Web
>Service for any changes.

  I am not positive what the ramifications would be, but callbacks may
be an option here.

  If all of your clients have web servers, a better solution might be to
have a cgi program that your server contacts to inform them of any change.

  Just some thoughts.

--
"We do not lose our identity in our relations with others; in part, at least, we achieve our identity by those relations." Tony Blair, 1993