Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Oliver Heger <he...@med.uni-marburg.de> on 2005/12/01 08:06:29 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Release Configuration 1.2

robert burrell donkin schrieb:

>>>3 the release has been compiled using 1.4.2: if commons-configuration is
>>>supposed to support 1.3 jdks then this could be a problem unless you've
>>>taken very careful steps.
>>>

>>I've seen this too. I checked the build and tests and found te build
>>fails with jdk.1.3 as there are references to javax.sql.DataSource and
>>so I thought this is a jdk1.4 project.
>

> perhaps it would be possible to satisfy this with an alternate jdbc
> dependency?
>

>>Unhappily a wrong decision by me. But this might explain why a jdk1.4
>>were used.
>

> i wouldn't be too critical about that decision...
>
> ideally, it would be better to find another way of satisfying that
> dependency. if that isn't possible then it's important to ensure that
> users are clearly informed about the minimum JDK version. even if there
> is a 1.4 library dependency, it's best to use the source switches so
> that the rest of the library could be used on 1.3.
>
> - robert

Thanks for your feedback.

The classes were indeed compiled on a JDK 1.3 using the
maven.compile.executable property. Unfortunately the jar manifest refers
to the 1.4 JDK (probably because this is the JDK that runs maven). Is
there a way around this?

I also had to tweak my local pom because of that jdbc dependency. I
agree that this is not an ideal situation, especially because that
dependency is only needed by a test class. Will see whether I can get
rid of it.

I will also take care of the points you mentioned, Robert.

Oliver