Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/04 00:45:24 UTC

[all] doc format (was: Re: svn commit: r382690 )

On 3/3/06, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, seems Maven 2 picks up the xdoc one first. We should probably
> discuss if we want to standardise on one or the other doc format prior
> to doing too much more work on the migration.

<snip/>

That was the basis of my question in the m1 -> m2 thread. Not sure
what we gain by going to APT, I saw you check in APT stuff in the
sandbox.

Two observations:
1) Time and effort has gone into xdocs (on a particularly generous
day, I can think of migrating, but not high priority)
2) xdocs is XML based

-Rahul

> Hen
>
> On 3/3/06, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:
> > bayard@apache.org wrote:
> > > Author: bayard
> > > Date: Thu Mar  2 22:34:40 2006
> > > New Revision: 382690

> > > Log:
> > > apt port of the xdocs site - I must be doing something wrong as it doesn't generate well, but I thought I would check the latest in anyway
> >
> > <snip/>
> >
> > Are you getting this error?

<snap/>

Re: [all] doc format (was: Re: svn commit: r382690 )

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 3/3/06, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> As Martin said, it's a bad idea to convert things unless they are
> uniformly on m2.
>
> xdoc is supported in m2 if you don't use entities. The development
> snapshots of the site plugin can render sites that do what the entities
> used to.
>
> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Sites+and+Inheritence
>
> You'll probably find that once you start writing APT docs, you will want
> to convert the xdocs because they are far faster to write and to be able
> to read from source. But let's not put the cart before the horse.

+1. I'm not sure I like apt anyway :) I'll revert the addition.

Hen

Re: [all] doc format (was: Re: svn commit: r382690 )

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
As Martin said, it's a bad idea to convert things unless they are
uniformly on m2.

xdoc is supported in m2 if you don't use entities. The development
snapshots of the site plugin can render sites that do what the entities
used to.

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Sites+and+Inheritence

You'll probably find that once you start writing APT docs, you will want
to convert the xdocs because they are far faster to write and to be able
to read from source. But let's not put the cart before the horse.

- Brett