Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> on 2010/07/22 16:54:40 UTC

Will there be a new release soon?

The title says it all :)

Re: Setting up Base Image - capturing

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.
Milen,

You can only see the part that lets you save or update the image under Edit
Reservation if the computer type is 'blade'.  This was done because the first
vmware support in VCL was for the free server and non-persistent mode was used
for the reservations.  In non-persistent mode, there is no was to save off the
changes made to the image.

The better way of capturing an image is to make the reservation through
Manage Images->Create/Update an Image.  Then, VCL knows from the beginning
that the reservation is for capturing the image and anything (such as not
using non-persistent mode) can be done to prepare for that.

Josh

--
-------------------------------

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: Setting up Base Image - capturing

Posted by Milen P Paskov <mp...@us.ibm.com>.
Hi Josh,

Form the normal VCL, ncsu.edu, in the current images you can click on the
button "Edit" where it give you the choice to either extend your
reservation or save it. From the Sandbox VCL when I provision an IBM
instance and click on "Edit" it gives me only the option to extend my
reservation, i can not save it.

Best Regards,
Milen Paskov
WSTI Intern
mppaskov@us.ibm.com

PS Sorry for the possible confusion with the replay-message.

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>                                                                                                            |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |vcl-dev@incubator.apache.org                                                                                                                      |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |09/02/2010 04:24 PM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.
Milen,

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Setting up Base Image - capturing

Posted by Milen P Paskov <mp...@us.ibm.com>.
Hello community,

Re: Setting up Base Image

Posted by Milen P Paskov <mp...@us.ibm.com>.
Hi Aaron,

I have been working on the VCL Sandbox image out of NCSU repository. I was
reluctant to use the trunk as changes are made frequently on it and it will
be difficult for me to to keep up. What version of VCL is there on the VCL
Sandbox image and how would I go about and update the current code? Also
from a quick look at the trunk code it seems that there has been major
changes to the post_load routine as well as there is a file
"currentimage.txt" which is supposedly located on the image, I did not find
any documentation regarding this on the confluence, thus I am no sure where
and what this file should be and do.

The IBM Cloud is providing one IP address which is a public one and I
believe it is handled by dhcp. By the time the provision-module exits the
load() routine that IP address is recovered. At which point VCL is using it
to log into the machine and make changes to it such as create a new user
and set the proper permission's. I am not sure about the NAT.

I do not think that the option of "manualdhcp" will work as before the
image start up there is no way of knowing the IP address.

Best Regards,
Milen Paskov
WSTI Intern
mppaskov@us.ibm.com

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |aaron_peeler@ncsu.edu                                                                                                                             |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |vcl-dev@incubator.apache.org                                                                                                                      |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |08/18/2010 07:29 AM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
|------------>
  |Re: Setting up Base Image                                                                                                                         |

Hi Milen,

Make sure your working with the latest code from the repository. The
getdynamicaddress routine is no longer used because it was fetching the
loopback address as you see here.

Also can you explain a little more about the ip address provided by the
IBM cloud? It sounds like the public address differs from the private
address that vcl is aware of. Is it using NAT?

Also not sure if this will be of any use, but there is an option called
"manualdhcp" in which vcld will only provide the ip address listed in the
vcl database, instead of fetching it from the guest OS. This of course
requires the address to be pre-defined for that quest and not dynamic.

Aaron

> [...]

>   |Re: Setting up Base Image

>   In the upcoming release, rc.local will be overwritten on image capture
> by the OS/Linux.pm module.
>
> a post_load script would probably be a good way to go until we can make
> the dependency on two networks optional.
>
> Aaron
>
> On 8/17/10 10:55 AM, Milen P Paskov wrote:
>>
>> Hey Josh,
>>
>> Regarding the first question I was able to modify the image so I can
>> ssh in as root.
>>
>> Regarding the fooling I was think more about making minor changes to
>> the script /etc/rc.local (suggested in the guide to created Base
>> Image), located on the image, as well as implement my own version of
>> post_load(). What I do not know is what needs to be done after the
>> image has started up before handing it to the end user. If some of the
>> action required different approach then the one already defined in VCL
>> i can rewrite them for my module.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Milen Paskov
>> WSTI Intern
>> mppaskov@us.ibm.com
>>
>> Inactive hide details for Josh Thompson ---08/17/2010 09:24:24
>> SHA1
>>

>> From:
>> Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>
>>
>> To:
>> vcl-dev@incubator.apache.org
>>
>> Date:
>> 08/17/2010 09:24 AM

>> Re: Setting up Base Image

>> On Monday August 16, 2010, Milen P Paskov wrote:
>> > Hello Community,
>> >
>> > I have made some progress with the provisioning module that will
>> > communicate with IBM Cloud, now I need to set up the image on the
>> cloud
>> > properly so that VCL can access them.
>> >
>> > I am been following this documentation:
>> >
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/VCL/Create+a+Linux+Base
+Image

>> > I have come across two problems.
>> > 1. Currently the images are set so that you can not ssh directly as
> root
>> > user, but it is possible to use "sudo bash" once logged on. Is there
>> a way
>> > to modify the image so I can directly ssh as root as required by vcl?
>>
>> man sshd_config - look for PermitRootLogin
>>
>> > 2. Once the IBM Cloud provisions the image it has only access to one
>> > network (I am given one IP, through which I can connect) a public
>> one. Is
>> > it possible to fool VCL to use the public network to log in and make
> the
>> > necessary  changes to the image before giving to the end users?
>>
>> One of the backend guys will have to answer this part, but keep in
>> mind that
>> when you "fool" part of a system, you are often going against underlying
>> assumptions upon which the system was built.  This can result in a
>> long trail
>> of fooling one part, then another part, then another one, etc.

Re: Setting up Base Image

Posted by aa...@ncsu.edu.

Re: Setting up Base Image

Posted by Milen P Paskov <mp...@us.ibm.com>.
Hey Aaron,

I found that the post_load() routine is called from the new.pm. But as the
image has not set the up external_sshd etc the commands in the routine
fail, however those commands as far as i understand are only used hide rsa
keys and  root password. These action can be performed from my module, and
thus making the call for post_load() unnecessary. So I let the request
continue even if the post_load commands fail to see what will happen.

What I saw was that procedure continued without a problem and started
logging into the machine to adding user etc. However when the connect
button was available on the web-interface the IP that it gave was 127.0.0.1
so i when back to the log and found the following.

1.1.1.1 represents the public ip of the instance, i replaced here with the
dummy one for security reasons.

   2010-08-17 16:27:03|31471|6:6|new|utils.pm:getdynamicaddress(1605)|
   PrivateIP address for ibm1 collected 1.1.1.1
   2010-08-17 16:27:03|31471|6:6|new|utils.pm:run_ssh_command(6180)|
   executing SSH command on ibm1:
   |31471|6:6|new| /usr/bin/ssh -i /etc/vcl/vclsandbox_rsa  -l root -p 22
   -x ibm1 '/sbin/ifconfig |grep inet' 2>&1
   2010-08-17 16:27:04|31471|6:6|new|utils.pm:run_ssh_command(6262)|
   run_ssh_command output:
   |31471|6:6|new| inet addr:1.1.1.1 Bcast:170.224.175.255
   Mask:255.255.240.0
   |31471|6:6|new| inet6 addr: fe80::dcad:beff:feef:1510/64 Scope:Link
   |31471|6:6|new| inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
   |31471|6:6|new| inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
   2010-08-17 16:27:04|31471|6:6|new|utils.pm:run_ssh_command(6276)|SSH
   command executed on ibm1, returning (0, "inet addr:1.1.1.1 Bcas...")
   2010-08-17 16:27:04|31471|6:6|new|utils.pm:getdynamicaddress(1652)|
   dynamic IP address for ibm1 collected: 127.0.0.1
   2010-08-17 16:27:04|31471|6:6|new|new.pm:reserve_computer(1033)|
   retrieved dynamic DHCP IP address from 127.0.0.1: 127.0.0.1
   2010-08-17 16:27:04|31471|6:6|new|DataStructure.pm:_automethod(697)|data
   structure updated: $self->request_data->
   {reservation}{6}{computer}{IPaddress}
   |31471|6:6|new| computer_ip_address = 127.0.0.1

Now because I was able to monitor the progress from the IBM Cloud as well I
found out the IP that I needed and was able to log into the image with the
credentials provided by VCL. So the only problem that I can see is that VCL
fetched the wrong IP. Any idea why this happened?

Best Regards,
Milen Paskov
WSTI Intern
mppaskov@us.ibm.com

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>                                                                                                              |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |vcl-dev@incubator.apache.org                                                                                                                      |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |08/17/2010 12:18 PM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
|------------>

--

Aaron Peeler
Program Manager

Re: Setting up Base Image

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.

--

Aaron Peeler
Program Manager

Re: Setting up Base Image

Posted by Milen P Paskov <mp...@us.ibm.com>.
Hey Josh,

Regarding the first question I was able to modify the image so I can ssh in
as root.

Regarding the fooling I was think more about making minor changes to the
script /etc/rc.local (suggested in the guide to created Base Image),
located on the image, as well as implement my own version of post_load().
What I do not know is what needs to be done after the image has started up
before handing it to the end user. If some of the action required different
approach then the one already defined in VCL i can rewrite them for my
module.

Best Regards,
Milen Paskov
WSTI Intern
mppaskov@us.ibm.com

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>                                                                                                            |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |vcl-dev@incubator.apache.org                                                                                                                      |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |08/17/2010 09:24 AM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
|------------>
  |Re: Setting up Base Image                                                                                                                         |

Re: Setting up Base Image

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

Re: Adding a new provisioning module - minor problems

Posted by Milen P Paskov <mp...@us.ibm.com>.
Hello Community,

After setting up everything on the front end I wanted to go ahead and try
to checkout an image. However, when I select my image (the one that is on
the IBM Cloud) it prompts me with the message "Selection not currently
available". I have checked to make sure that the computer on which the
images are mapped to is available, but I cant seem to figure it out, can
anyone help?

Best Regards,
Milen Paskov
WSTI Intern
mppaskov@us.ibm.com

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Milen P Paskov/Durham/IBM@IBMUS                                                                                                                   |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |vcl-dev@incubator.apache.org                                                                                                                      |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |08/12/2010 04:50 PM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
|------------>
  |Re: Adding a new provisioning module - minor problems                                                                                             |

Josh,

Thank you for the fast response.

No I did not think of that, however I have now added it.
      INSERT INTO `resource` (`id`, `resourcetypeid`, `subid`) VALUES
      (18, 13, 12);

I have now added this new image to the group. I believe everything is set
as it should be and will go ahead and try to provision this image. I will
let you know how it works out.

Best Regards,
Milen Paskov
WSTI Intern
mppaskov@us.ibm.com

Inactive hide details for Josh Thompson ---08/12/2010 01:05:11

 From:             Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>

 To:               vcl-dev@incubator.apache.org

 Date:             08/12/2010 01:05 PM

 Subject:          Re: Adding a new provisioning module - minor problems

Milen,

Did you create an entry in the resource table for the image?

Josh

On Thursday August 12, 2010, Milen P Paskov wrote:
> [...]
VALUES
>    (14, 12, 0, 1, '2008-03-24 14:23:54', 0, 1, NULL,
'rhl5-v0-id20001151');

> I have also created some groups on web interface.
>    IBM Cloud - a computer group in which our computer is placed
>    IBM Images - a group for the images which can be accessed on the cloud
>    (so far only above mentioned one)
>    I have mapped the "IBM Images" to "IBM Cloud", through the image
mapping
>    setup
>
> Now my problem is that I currently can not add my newly created image to
> the "IBM Images" group ("Image Grouping" -> Checkbox grid) when i mark
the
> checkbox and submit the changes it does not seem to save them.
> Furthermore I can not see my image in the Image Profile section.
>
> I will greatly appreciate any help that I can get on these problems.

- --
- -------------------------------

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: Adding a new provisioning module - minor problems

Posted by Milen P Paskov <mp...@us.ibm.com>.
Josh,

Thank you for the fast response.

No I did not think of that, however I have now added it.
   INSERT INTO `resource` (`id`, `resourcetypeid`, `subid`) VALUES
   (18, 13, 12);

I have now added this new image to the group. I believe everything is set
as it should be and will go ahead and try to provision this image. I will
let you know how it works out.

Best Regards,
Milen Paskov
WSTI Intern
mppaskov@us.ibm.com

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>                                                                                                            |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |vcl-dev@incubator.apache.org                                                                                                                      |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |08/12/2010 01:05 PM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
|------------>
> [...]

VALUES
>    (14, 12, 0, 1, '2008-03-24 14:23:54', 0, 1, NULL,
'rhl5-v0-id20001151');

> I have also created some groups on web interface.
>    IBM Cloud - a computer group in which our computer is placed
>    IBM Images - a group for the images which can be accessed on the cloud
>    (so far only above mentioned one)
>    I have mapped the "IBM Images" to "IBM Cloud", through the image
mapping
>    setup
>
> Now my problem is that I currently can not add my newly created image to
> the "IBM Images" group ("Image Grouping" -> Checkbox grid) when i mark
the
> checkbox and submit the changes it does not seem to save them.
> Furthermore I can not see my image in the Image Profile section.
>
> I will greatly appreciate any help that I can get on these problems.

- --
- -------------------------------

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Setting up Base Image

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

> [...]

>    `datecreated`, `deleted`, `production`, `comments`, `imagename`) VALUES
>    (14, 12, 0, 1, '2008-03-24 14:23:54', 0, 1, NULL, 'rhl5-v0-id20001151');
>
> I have also created some groups on web interface.
>    IBM Cloud - a computer group in which our computer is placed
>    IBM Images - a group for the images which can be accessed on the cloud
>    (so far only above mentioned one)
>    I have mapped the "IBM Images" to "IBM Cloud", through the image mapping
>    setup
>
> Now my problem is that I currently can not add my newly created image to
> the "IBM Images" group ("Image Grouping" -> Checkbox grid) when i mark the
> checkbox and submit the changes it does not seem to save them.
> Furthermore I can not see my image in the Image Profile section.
>
> I will greatly appreciate any help that I can get on these problems.

- --

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Adding a new provisioning module - minor problems

Posted by Milen P Paskov <mp...@us.ibm.com>.
Hello community,

Re: Will there be a new release soon?

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.