Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> on 2004/04/05 03:58:45 UTC

TLP conversion status

Here's an update on where we are on getting everything morphed over into
Struts TLP status.

First off, this is taking *much* longer than I'd expected. Part of it is
that there are a lot of things to do, but much of it is because I don't
have enough permission to do things myself, and the infra folks seem to be
busy doing other things (like playing with all their new boxes ;).

As I'm sure you know, the mailing lists have been created and are up and
running in their new incarnations. Unfortunately, the mbox archives are
not yet available - see earlier thread on archives. The Jakarta web site,
though, still refers to the old lists, so we probably need to change that
pretty soon.

The wiki pages have finally been moved over from the old wiki to the new
one. By now, they could be out of date, but doubt there's anything we can
do about that. The remaining problems with the wiki are that the new pages
are not editable (and the old ones still are), and the initial page is
still a default MoinMoin front page. I have a request in to get the page
permissions changed, so until that happens, we can't do anything about the
latter.

A Unix group for Struts has been created, but it currently has no members.
I have a Jira issue in for that.

The new web site location is ready, but we can't do anything to put a site
there yet, because permissions are set for the Struts group that, as
mentioned above, currently has no members.

I have not done anything myself about new content for the new site. We're
going to need some pages for things that we've heretofore relied on the
Jakarta site for. Before that, we'll need to discuss how we want to
organise the new site (a) to incorporate the new content, and (b) if we
want to reorganise anything to make it more TLP-like.

If you want to track all of this, here are the Jira issues that I
submitted:

INFRA-48: New Unix group for Struts committers
INFRA-49: Web site infrastructure for Struts
INFRA-51: Need Struts wiki pages copied from old wiki
INFRA-52: Change default AssignedTo for Struts in Bugzilla

Of these, #49 is done, but we can't do anything until #48 is done, and #51
is done, but we can't do anything until the page perms are changed. I
thought I could do #52 myself, but apparently cannot (or just haven't
figured out how).

All very frustrating, frankly.

--
Martin Cooper

RE: TLP conversion status

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 22:18:33 -0700, Martin Cooper wrote:
> The bad news is that the old wiki, on nagoya, is still editable as
> well, and nobody seems quite sure how to mark those pages as
> immutable, short of doing a redirect for each individual page. (I
> can do that, but it's a bit painful, given how many pages we seem
> to have.)

I'll sort it out, Martin.

It's my fault people started using it anyway :)

-Ted.

RE: TLP conversion status

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Thanks, Craig. Sounds like it wasn't obvious what I would have needed to
do...

Thanks also to Ted, for updating the web site to reflect the new mailing
lists, and switching to the ASF logo instead of the Jakarta one. Looking
good!

In other news, the pages on the new wiki are now editable.  :-D  To get us
going, I've renamed the default front page to FrontPageOriginal (because it
does contain useful stuff that I think we should keep somewhere), and copied
the old StrutsProjectPages to the new FrontPage. Take a look and see what
you think:

http://wiki.apache.org/struts/

In particular, it would be good to identify any additional pages I missed,
or any glitches in the UseModWiki --> MoinMoin translation process, so that
we can fix those up quickly.

The bad news is that the old wiki, on nagoya, is still editable as well, and
nobody seems quite sure how to mark those pages as immutable, short of doing
a redirect for each individual page. (I can do that, but it's a bit painful,
given how many pages we seem to have.)

I'd like to send out a message to the user@ and dev@ lists, as well as the
Jakarta announcements list, about our mailing list changes, and our new
wiki, fairly soon, to help reduce confusion in the ranks. Anything else we
should take care of in the same message?

--
Martin Cooper

Re: TLP conversion status

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

Re: TLP conversion status

Posted by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org>.

Re: TLP conversion status

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
All of the Jira issues are now resolved. Woohoo! :-)

--
Martin Cooper

Re: TLP conversion status

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 18:58:45 -0700 (PDT), Martin Cooper wrote:
> I have not done anything myself about new content for the new site.
> We're going to need some pages for things that we've heretofore
> relied on the Jakarta site for. Before that, we'll need to discuss
> how we want to organise the new site (a) to incorporate the new
> content, and (b) if we want to reorganise anything to make it more
> TLP-like.

I'd like to reorganize the site, and I'll work up a proposal to that end.

And, again, thanks so much for all your hard work in leading this transition, Martin!

-Ted.