Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Ron Patterson <a....@mindspring.com> on 2016/06/04 03:24:01 UTC

Spreadsheet comments

Win 7 Pro - in the left hand column I use a lot of Comments.

When I right click on some cells, I get the normal drop down menu that
lets me leave a comment.  Other cells I often get a different drop down
menu without the comment commands?

On cells that have a comment why is there no EDIT command.  How does one
edit an existing comment?

How does one resize a comment window?

Re: Spreadsheet comments

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 20:24 03/06/2016 -0700, Ron Patterson wrote:
>... I use a lot of Comments. When I right click on some cells, I get
>the normal drop down menu that lets me leave a comment. Other cells
>I often get a different drop down menu without the comment commands?

The nature of the rogue menu will probably tell you what is happening
- but you've kept that a secret!

One possibility is that you have entered Edit Mode in the cell. To
see the context menu including Insert Comment, you need to have
selected the relevant cell, of course, such that the cell is outlined
with a heavy border. But if you double-click the cell (or press F2)
you will have entered Edit Mode - evidenced by the lack of the
border, a cursor within the cell, and the appearance of the red cross
and green tick mark to the left of the Input Line.

You can leave Edit Mode by pressing Esc. Note that even in Edit Mode
you can insert a comment using Insert | Comment or Ctrl+Alt+C.

>On cells that have a comment why is there no EDIT command. How does
>one edit an existing comment?

You simply use any of the techniques to insert a comment: these will
bring up any existing comment and you can edit it in place.

>How does one resize a comment window?

o Use Show Comment from the context menu to toggle on the display of
the comment.
o Single-click the comment itself to show the eight coloured handles.
o Drag the handles as necessary. Alternatively use Position and
Size... from the context menu in the comment.
o If desired, use Show Comment from the context menu in the cell
again to toggle off the display of the comment.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker