Posted to users@opennlp.apache.org by Michael Schmitz <sc...@cs.washington.edu> on 2011/06/10 19:27:51 UTC

OpenNLP English maxent pos tagger models for case-insensitive sentences

Hi, I was wondering if the training data for the OpenNLP maxent POS tagger
models is public and available somewhere.  I would like to train models for
the pos tagger and the chunker that work on sentences without case (i.e. all
capitalized).  If I had the training data used for en-pos-maxent.bin, a
first pass would simply mean capitalizing the tokens and running the
trainer.  It appears that the chunker training data somes from CONLL2000 (
http://www.cnts.ua.ac.be/conll2000/chunking/).

I would be happy to share the models with OpenNLP if anyone thought they
would be of use to others.

Peace.  Michael

Re: OpenNLP English maxent pos tagger models for case-insensitive sentences

Posted by "william.colen@gmail.com" <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

Maybe you could use the CONLL2000 data. What do you think? It includes POS
tags.
To use it you will need to create a new converter:

   1. Create a new POSSample stream for the CONLL2000, it is similar to
   ConllXPOSSampleStream<http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/opennlp/trunk/opennlp-tools/src/main/java/opennlp/tools/formats/ConllXPOSSampleStream.java?view=markup>
   ;
   2. Create a factory for your new class, similar to
   ConllXPOSSampleStreamFactory<http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/opennlp/trunk/opennlp-tools/src/main/java/opennlp/tools/formats/ConllXPOSSampleStreamFactory.java?view=markup>,
   this class is required to launch the formatter from command line;
   3. Finally add the factory to
POSTaggerConverter<http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/opennlp/trunk/opennlp-tools/src/main/java/opennlp/tools/cmdline/postag/POSTaggerConverter.java?view=markup>.

With the converted sample you you will be able to train your model like
explained in the documentation.
It would be nice if you could contribute back with a patch adding your new
converter.

Regards,
William

Posted by Jason Baldridge <ja...@gmail.com>.