Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Leonardo Uribe <lu...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/21 14:20:20 UTC

[VOTE] fix MYFACES-2552 for 2.0.x and 2.1.x branches

Hi

More than a year ago, it was found that EL expressions like
#{cc.attrs.test} does not resolve its type correctly, because the
composite component EL resolver is not able to find the right type.
Instead, MapELResolver always return Object.class as type, breaking
composite components that use h:selectOneXXX into its internals. See

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MYFACES-2552

The problem with this issue is we need to change the way how
org.apache.myfaces.el.unified.resolver.CompositeComponentELResolver
works. JSF 2.0 spec clearly says in its section 5.6.2.2 that getType()
for that EL resolver should return null.

The issue was reported to the EG and a fix was included in JSF 2.2. spec, see:

http://java.net/jira/browse/JAVASERVERFACES_SPEC_PUBLIC-745

but we still receive reports about the same issue (MYFACES-3311 and
others (last comment on MYFACES-1890) ).

So, the current behavior even if is described by the spec is too
inconvenient. Note we already have some places in our implementation
that does not follow strictly the spec, to keep things working as
users expect. To follow the protocol in these cases, we need an
official community decision about include it in 2.0.x and 2.1.x
branches. Please vote:

+1 if you want this fix included in 2.0.x and 2.1.x.
+0
-1 and the reason why if you see this could cause any problem.

regards,

Leonardo Uribe

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#ReleaseVotes

Re: [VOTE] fix MYFACES-2552 for 2.0.x and 2.1.x branches

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.
The spec issue at hand relates, ultimately, to the implementation of
getType() against the composite components attributes map ELResolver.
The workaround presented in JIRA involves a pluggable ELResolver that
delegates getType() to a ValueExpression found for a given attribute;
I would venture to guess this would get the job done most of the time.
 The final spec for 2.2 goes farther, however, by incorporating Leo's
suggestion that a composite:attribute element's 'type' attribute would
also be consulted.  The amended spec text describing this behavior:

 If the base argument to getType() is not an instance of the composite
  component attributes map or the property argument to getType() is not
  an instance of java.lang.String, return null.
  Otherwise, check the top level component's ValueExpression collection
  for an expression under the name given by the property argument to
  getType(). If the expression exists, call getType() on the expression.
  If the property argument to getType() is not empty, search the
  composite component's metadata for a declared type on a
  <composite:attribute> whose name matches the property argument to
  getType().
  If the expression and the metadata both yield results, the metadata
  takes precedence ONLY if it provides a narrower result than does the
  expression, i.e. expression type is assignable from metadata type.
  Otherwise, return whichever result was available, or null.

Obviously the code to implement the above will have to reside in
MyFaces at some point.  For this reason I would recommend the context
parameter simply enable the above behavior.

Matt

Posted by Grant Smith <wo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Grant Smith <wo...@gmail.com>.
> Ok, so can we agree on use a name like
> org.apache.myfaces.STRICT_JSF_2_EL_RESOLVER_COMPATIBILITY?--

I would say yes, so that it leaves space for possible
org.apache.myfaces.STRICT_JSF_* parameters in the future.

Posted by Leonardo Uribe <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Ok, so can we agree on use a name like
org.apache.myfaces.STRICT_JSF_2_EL_RESOLVER_COMPATIBILITY?

I strongly suggest the default value of this param should be "false"
by the following reasons:

1. I don't believe the TCK check this specific part. Only if the
change cause a test to fail, we are forced to set the param by default
to "true".
2. If somebody needs to change from myfaces to mojarra by some reason,
it is possible to create a fix without change mojarra internals (a
custom EL resolver), keeping interoperability between both jsf
implementations. Implementors of composite component libraries can
include a fix, but if we include it on myfaces, checking the version
and the param they can decide if the resolver needs to return
something different than null on getType() or not.
3. Users see this issue as a problem over the implementation. Enabling
the fix over getType() by default will make users happier, because its
composite components that relies on this effect will work as expected.
4. In practice, only (very few) people interested in "strict" jsf 2
compatibility will enable this param.

regards,

Leonardo

Posted by Michael Kurz <mi...@gmx.at>.
+1 :)

Posted by Bernd Bohmann <be...@atanion.com>.

Posted by Michael Kurz <mi...@gmx.at>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
of course there is:

Posted by Michael Kurz <mi...@gmx.at>.

Posted by Jakob Korherr <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Martin Marinschek <mm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
@bernd: +1

Posted by Bernd Bohmann <be...@atanion.com>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Jakob Korherr <ja...@gmail.com>.

--
Jakob Korherr

blog: http://www.jakobk.com
work: http://www.irian.at

Re: [VOTE] fix MYFACES-2552 for 2.0.x and 2.1.x branches

Posted by Leonardo Uribe <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Leonardo Uribe <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Not sure about that.

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rudy De Busscher <rd...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
+1

In general for fixing this issue. I'm not firm with the current spec version though. Would we do it the same way as it is planed for 2.2 or is the spec a step behind?

In any case introducing a Context param for configuring the behaviour is a good idea.

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Grant Smith <wo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Kurz <mi...@gmx.at>.