Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Larry Meadors <lm...@apache.org> on 2007/02/19 19:58:33 UTC

Build-number plug-in and install goal conflict?

I am trying to use the build number plug-in:

http://commons.ucalgary.ca/projects/maven-buildnumber-plugin/howto.html

I changed my pom to use
${project.artifactId}-${project.version}-r${buildNumber} as the final
name, and it works great for all of the files built, but for the pom,
it messes up the name like this:

blah-SNAPSHOT-r${buildNumber}.pom
blah-SNAPSHOT-r509202.jar

Any ideas why the pom is being misnamed..or more importantly, how to fix it?

Larry

Re: [m2] Build-number plug-in and install goal conflict?

Posted by Julian Wood <wo...@ucalgary.ca>.
There's no way to do this that I know of. The install goal generates
it's own finalName and ignores any finalName that has been specified
in the build section of the pom, while the package goal, for
instance, respects the finalName. It's not got anything to do with
the build number plugin.

--
Julian Wood <wo...@ucalgary.ca>

Software Engineer
Teaching & Learning Centre
University of Calgary

http://tlc.ucalgary.ca

Re: [m2] Build-number plug-in and install goal conflict?

Posted by Satish <sa...@sharefare.com>.

Re: Build-number plug-in and install goal conflict?

Posted by Julian Wood <wo...@ucalgary.ca>.
I'm not sure. I don't actually use buildNumber in finalName, because
there are multiple places throughout the build/release cycle where
maven simply ignores that value and uses it's own finalName. This has
been brought up before, and it's not likely to change.

That said, I'm not sure that's your problem. What phase did you bind
it to? You should bind it as early as possible, which would be validate.

So to answer your question precisely - the buildNumber property has
either not been set yet, or it is being ignored. If you are already
binding to validate, I don't know how to fix it, or if it is even
possible to fix it without changing maven internals.

PS. The alternative that I use, and which I think works better than
messing with file names, is to place the build number in some
metadata. My favourite place is the manifest.mf of your jar or war file.

On 19-Feb-07, at 11:58 AM, Larry Meadors wrote:

> I am trying to use the build number plug-in:
>
> http://commons.ucalgary.ca/projects/maven-buildnumber-plugin/
> howto.html
>
> I changed my pom to use
> ${project.artifactId}-${project.version}-r${buildNumber} as the final
> name, and it works great for all of the files built, but for the pom,
> it messes up the name like this:
>
> blah-SNAPSHOT-r${buildNumber}.pom
> blah-SNAPSHOT-r509202.jar
>
> Any ideas why the pom is being misnamed..or more importantly, how
> to fix it?
>
> Larry

Julian Wood <wo...@ucalgary.ca>

Software Engineer