Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Ian Piper <ia...@tellura.co.uk> on 2012/01/23 08:46:52 UTC

Following .axd urls

Hi all,

I'd appreciate some guidance... can't seem to find much useful stuff on the web on this. I have set up a Nutch and Solr service that is crawling a client's site. They have a lot of pages that are accessed with urls like this:

http://[domain]/resources/consultationonstatutoryguidancefordisabilityinequalityact.aspx

The crawler is finding these urls with no problem and pulling their contents into the Solr index.

However, many of the pages at these urls also contain links to attachments, using .axd extensions. For example, this page:

http://[domain]/resources/anatozguidetolitigationfundingoptions.aspx

has this link in the body:

	12 May 2011<br />
	Download
			An A to Z Guide to Litigation Funding Options
		</a>
		Julian Chamberlayne, Stewarts Law and
	David Hartley, Abbey Legal Protection<br />From the ELA Annual Conference 2011

The problem I'm finding is that the crawler is not apparently visiting or indexing the content of these urls. The document at the far end of the link has this url

http://[domain]/medialibrary.axd?id=414405745

is actually a pdf. I am using the tika plugin which I thought would allow for indexing pdfs.

Anyway, I'd be very grateful for some guidance about how to get Nutch to follow these links.

Thanks,

Ian.
--

dfiuhspub

Re: Following .axd urls

Posted by Ian Piper <ia...@me.com>.
Hi Lewis,

Thanks for the reply. I'm using a fetch depth of 10 (which I thought would be ample - this is not a deep site hierarchy). Here is the command I'm running:

bin/nutch crawl urls -solr [solrurl] -depth 10 -topN 5000

Re: Following .axd urls

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ian,

--
*Lewis*

Re: Following .axd urls

Posted by Julien Nioche <li...@gmail.com>.
having said that if the URL filters are correct, the next step is to check
that the parser actually returns the outlink. Google for ParserChecker and
try it on the URL containing the link

--
*

Re: Following .axd urls

Posted by Ian Piper <ia...@tellura.co.uk>.
On 23 Jan 2012, at 16:04, Julien Nioche wrote:

> check your URL filter : the link above contains a '?' which by default
> would get the URL to be filtered out

That was definitely the problem. Nutch is happily fetching those documents now!

Thanks very much for your help.

Ian.

Re: Following .axd urls

Posted by Ian Piper <ia...@me.com>.
Hi Julien,

Thanks for the message. I think  you have found part of the problem - I have this in regex-urlfilter.txt

# skip URLs containing certain characters as probable queries, etc.
-[?*!@=]

I will try modifying this and re-running the crawl.

Ian.

Re: Following .axd urls

Posted by Julien Nioche <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ian