Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by jing wang <ha...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/24 11:34:53 UTC

questions about CDH Version 4.0.1

Hi,

  I'm curious of what the release notes said,
http://archive.cloudera.com/cdh4/cdh/4/hadoop-2.0.0+91.releasenotes.html

  Is cdh4 based on ‘Release 2.0.0-alpha’ ?
http://hadoop.apache.org/common/releases.html#23+May%2C+2012%3A+Release+2.0.0-alpha+available

  Are there limitations on cdh packages?

Any advice will be appreciated!

Thanks & Best Regards
Jing Wang

Re: questions about CDH Version 4.0.1

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
HI Jing,

Am answering this over the CDH-users list, since your question is
CDH-specific. You may view/subscribe to it at
http://groups.google.com/a/cloudera.org/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/cdh-user
(cdh-user@cloudera.org).

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 3:04 PM, jing wang <ha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I'm curious of what the release notes
> said,http://archive.cloudera.com/cdh4/cdh/4/hadoop-2.0.0+91.releasenotes.html
>
>   Is cdh4 based on ‘Release 2.0.0-alpha’

Yes it is, but CDH4 is not alpha software. We have stability and
feature patches from trunk on top, as is listed on the release notes. See
also: http://www.cloudera.com/hadoop-details/. For stable MR
execution, aside of the rewritten YARN framework (which is pretty new
and not yet recommended for production), we also
provide MR1 with CDH4 (Apache Hadoop 2.0.0) which you can run via the
MR1 packages. This is sorta the same MR package that is present in the
CDH3 releases today.

>   Are there limitations on cdh packages?

CDH too is Apache (ASL) licensed, same as Apache Hadoop, and there are
no restrictions on its use aside of what the license requires.

--
Harsh J

Re: questions about CDH Version 4.0.1

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.