Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Patman <pb...@unitechtrainingacademy.com> on 2007/08/20 16:55:07 UTC

Using SpamAssassin to filter port 110

Hello,

New to the forum.

Question, what I would like to do, is filter incoming traffic on port 110,
with a spamassassin server.  Our organization is provided email by an
outside provider, as a service for doing our web page.  What I would like to
know is if SpamAssassin can be configured to go between my Cisco Pix box and
say the network to filter port 110 for spam?  Or does SpamAassassin have to
be the IP that port 110 is routed to?  I have used SpamAssassin on a in
house email server but never as I am attempting.  Can it be done and how?

Thanks

Re: Using SpamAssassin to filter port 110

Posted by Bob McClure Jr <bo...@bobcatos.com>.
On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 07:55:07AM -0700, Patman wrote:

> Hello,
>
> New to the forum.
>

> Question, what I would like to do, is filter incoming traffic on port 110,
> with a spamassassin server.  Our organization is provided email by an
> outside provider, as a service for doing our web page.  What I would like to
> know is if SpamAssassin can be configured to go between my Cisco Pix box and
> say the network to filter port 110 for spam?  Or does SpamAassassin have to
> be the IP that port 110 is routed to?  I have used SpamAssassin on a in
> house email server but never as I am attempting.  Can it be done and how?
>
> Thanks
> --

If you are picking up your mail from the mail server using your mail
client, I don't know how to wire SA into the flow that way.  You would
do better to call your mail server with fetchmail or similar, and
deliver to your local mailboxw with procmail.  Then you can run spamd
and call spamc from each user's .procmailrc.  The SA distribution
includes examples of how to do that.

Cheers,
bob@bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe
yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and
patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may
have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over
all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in
perfect unity.  Colossians 3:12-14 (NIV)

Re: Using SpamAssassin to filter port 110

Posted by Jared Hall <jh...@tbi.net>.
Aside from the spamd daemon (which a spamc client
can talk to) SA doesn't really have any specific "ports"
associated with it.  The Local Delivery Agent or the Mail
Delivery Agent is responsible for having the interface
mechanisms to SpamAssassin.

But in your case, a box running Procmail, FetchMail, in
conjunction with a local POP3/IMAP Daemon could do the
trick.  I think that www.nospamtoday.com has a
commercial variant that will do what you ask.

I don't know of any transparent hardware firewalls
(like Foritnet) that will forward 110 traffic to a
SpamAssassin spamd daemon for scanning.  A pity.

Regards,

Jared Hall
General Telecom, LLC.

Posted by Tim A <ti...@kosmo.com>.
Just need to proxy POP3 through SpamAssassin. There are a number of ways to
do that and some commercial products/services out there.

Posted by Kelson <ke...@speed.net>.
Patman wrote:
> Question, what I would like to do, is filter incoming traffic on port 110,
> with a spamassassin server.  Our organization is provided email by an
> outside provider, as a service for doing our web page.  What I would like to
> know is if SpamAssassin can be configured to go between my Cisco Pix box and
> say the network to filter port 110 for spam?  Or does SpamAassassin have to
> be the IP that port 110 is routed to?  I have used SpamAssassin on a in
> house email server but never as I am attempting.  Can it be done and how?

Not sure about a dedicated server, but I know some email clients (KMail,
for instance) have the ability to filter mail through SpamAssassin as
they download it via POP.

--
Kelson Vibber

Re: Using SpamAssassin to filter port 110

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, Patman wrote:

> Question, what I would like to do, is filter incoming traffic on
> port 110, with a spamassassin server.  Our organization is
> provided email by an outside provider, as a service for doing our
> web page.  What I would like to know is if SpamAssassin can be
> configured to go between my Cisco Pix box and say the network to
> filter port 110 for spam?  Or does SpamAassassin have to be the IP
> that port 110 is routed to?  I have used SpamAssassin on a in
> house email server but never as I am attempting.  Can it be done
> and how?

SpamAssassin itself cannot do that.

Research "POP Proxy" and see what you find, and then figure out how
and whether SA can be incorporated as a filter into the POP proxy.

Others may be able to suggest a specific POP proxy package.

An alternative would be to set up a local mail server that your
clients connect to using POP and IMAP, and that box retrieves inbound
email from your provider using Fetchmail. SA would then be a fairly
vanilla install on that box.

  Men by their constitutions are naturally divided in to two parties:
  1. Those who fear and distrust the people and wish to draw all
  powers from them into the hands of the higher classes. 2. Those who
  identify themselves with the people, have confidence in them,
  cherish and consider them as the most honest and safe, although not
  the most wise, depository of the public interests.
					          -- Thomas Jefferson
 5 days until The 1928th anniversary of the destruction of Pompeii