Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> on 2007/06/08 00:52:33 UTC

Yo yo... Xvfb, selenium blah

So, I hacked up something in the latest 1.0-beta-2-SNAPSHOT of the
selenium-maven-plugin.  Its deployed, and some site docs updated.

     http://mojo.codehaus.org/selenium-maven-plugin/examples/headless-
with-xvfb.html

Still needs more meat, but I wanna make sure it works before I start
investing in more docs.

But basically, you need to configure an execution *before* start-
server, for xvfb.  It will be default background, etc.  See the goal
doc for more details:

     http://mojo.codehaus.org/selenium-maven-plugin/xvfb-mojo.html

Currently it will default to using DISPLAY=":1", not sure if that is
correct or not.  Then it will fork an Xvfb process, write out a
target/selenium/display.properties file, which has the DISPLAY= in
it.  And I updated the start-server goal to look for that file, and
if it exists set environment variables for each key/pair in that file.

I think that should be sufficient to get headless muck working...
though I've not tested any of it ;-)

I think you will need to make the Xvfb process suid, as in:

     chmod u+s `which Xvfb`

This puppy needs to be run as root, or at least AFAIK it does.

Anyways, give it a shot and lemme know how well it works, or if it
works at all.  I will be around tomorrow to fix it up as needed.
Maybe my network will be stable then so I can run some tests on the
gbuild.org systems and better see how well it works out.

Aighty?

Cheers,

--jason

Re: Yo yo... Xvfb, selenium blah

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
On Jun 8, 2007, at 3:43 AM, Daniel Alheiros wrote:
> Hi
>
> Sorry if I'm saying something stupid, but it's been a long time
> since I read
> the forum discussions.
>
> Wouldn't be enough to use the Java standard headless support?
> It was introduced in JDK 1.4.2 (
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/awt/
> AWTChanges.html#headless)

Selenium launches web browsers, like Firefox... which isn't a Java
application so AWT configuration isn't relative.

> I've used both xvfb and AWT headless and I could say that the
> second option
> was much simpler to set up and more compatible.

I agree that headless AWT is easier, but in this case it doesn't apply.

--jason

Re: Yo yo... Xvfb, selenium blah

Posted by Daniel Alheiros <Da...@bbc.co.uk>.
Hi

http://www.bbc.co.uk/

Re: Yo yo... Xvfb, selenium blah

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Re: Yo yo... Xvfb, selenium blah

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Re: Yo yo... Xvfb, selenium blah

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
FYI, I was able to verify that the basic functionality is working...
yay.  I'm working on some X11 display auto detection and verification
muck right now.  Should have something working in an hour or so,
maybe less, and then I'll publish new snaps for your testing tomorrow.

--jason