Posted to pylucene-dev@lucene.apache.org by Thomas Koch <ko...@orbiteam.de> on 2015/11/15 22:55:01 UTC

Current state of PyLucene

Dear PyLucene developers,

I’d like to know about the current state of PyLucene and its roadmap.

According to the PyLucene website (latest entry 6 Oct 2014) PyLucene 4.10.1 is the latest release whereas Java Lucene 5.0 branch appeared in February 2015 (as of September 2015 Apache Lucene 5.3.1 is available).

Are there any plans to continue support for the 5.x branch (or in general current and future Lucene releases) in PyLucene?
According to the Lucene website "PyLucene is a Python port of the Core project.“ - so it would be great if it could cover the same Lucene as in Java.

We’re currently (still) using PyLucene 3.6 and would like to upgrade to a newer release. Question is if we should upgrade to 4.x or wait for 5.x

It should be noted that there are certainly some people using PyLucene - for example I came across the lupyne project: Pythonic search engine based on PyLucene, including a standalone server based on CherryPy.
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/lupyne <https://pypi.python.org/pypi/lupyne>

best regards

Thomas Koch
—
OrbiTeam Software
www.orbiteam.de <http://www.orbiteam.de/>

Re: Current state of PyLucene

Posted by Petrus Hyvönen <pe...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Just want to jump in and state my interest in the JCC part of it. I'm not
using pylucene but using another library wrapped with JCC, which is working
well.

My coding skills are not really there to help much out, but for what it is
worth I can at least state my appreciation for this project, which is to a
very large degree (totally in last years?) Andi's work. I have not been
responding in the voting for releases since i'm neither a user of pylucene
or part of any organized group.

As mentioned earlier, JCC for python 3 would be high on my wishlist. :)

Regards

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 7:28 PM, Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org> wrote:

> > On Nov 15, 2015, at 22:54, Jeff Breidenbach <je...@jab.org> wrote:
> >
> > I don't understand this. Lucene is the dominant open source
> > search software, and Python continues to gain popularity.
> > Why is there a decline in interest?
>
> Dunno. The PMC lives in Java land and doesn't pay much attention. And I
> stopped nagging them. As for users, there are plenty of them (?) but they
> don't participate or otherwise show interest by voting for releases.
>
> Andi..

Petrus Hyvönen, Uppsala, Sweden
Mobile Phone/SMS:+46 73 803 19 00

Re: AW: Current state of PyLucene

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.
On Nov 17, 2015, at 01:27, Thomas Koch <ko...@orbiteam.de> wrote:

>>> On Nov 15, 2015, at 22:54, Jeff Breidenbach <je...@jab.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't understand this. Lucene is the dominant open source search
>>> software, and Python continues to gain popularity.
>>> Why is there a decline in interest?
>>
>> Dunno. The PMC lives in Java land and doesn't pay much attention. And I
>> stopped nagging them. As for users, there are plenty of them (?) but they
> don't
>> participate or otherwise show interest by voting for releases.
>>
>> Andi..
>
> That's a pitty. So back to the current state: the project is dormant due to
> lack of interest? Or is is dead already?

It's dormant. By that I mean that no work is happening on it until interest is shown again. It can be revived any time by incorporating patches, making a release, fixing bugs, etc...

> If it's the users who should show more interest - I think that can be
> organized. Please hands up ,-)

Users can show interest by voting when a vote is called, sending in patches, feature requests and bug reports.

> Already noticed some reactions and votes. I also voted for some releases
> (and provided some minor code contributions) in the past, but never really
> understood the voting process: always (at least) 3 members of the PMC
> (=project management committee) must vote for a release, right?

Yes. Three PMC votes are necessary: mine + two others. We have a large Lucene PMC. Historically, the same two PMC members have been voting for releases. I've stopped nagging them - it became embarrassing.

> So votes of
> ordinary users do not count at all or are just "sugar" ? (If that's the case
> : why should 'ordinary' users votes anyway?).

They count in that they're a measure of interest in the project. No user votes are a factor in the project going dormant. But the PMC votes are what enable a release.

> And if members of the PMC are not interested in the project it's probably
> the wrong committee ... is there a PMC for Lucene only or one for Java
> Lucene and one for PyLucene? I found this website which explains the PMC
> process in Apache world
> http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#what-is-a-pmc
> .... but didn't find about Lucene PMC in particular - please point me to a
> website with more details if this is available -thx.

PyLucene is a sub-project of the Lucene project. To get its own PMC it needs to become a top level project (TLP) and a large requirement of that is an active, preferably sizeable, community of users that contribute to the project. This is not the case for PyLucene.

> The resource
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/board/committee-info.txt
> linked on the above website is read protected.

I have readily available links to contribute, sorry.

Andi..

Posted by Thomas Koch <ko...@orbiteam.de>.
> > On Nov 15, 2015, at 22:54, Jeff Breidenbach <je...@jab.org> wrote:
> >
> > I don't understand this. Lucene is the dominant open source search
> > software, and Python continues to gain popularity.
> > Why is there a decline in interest?
>
> Dunno. The PMC lives in Java land and doesn't pay much attention. And I
> stopped nagging them. As for users, there are plenty of them (?) but they
don't
> participate or otherwise show interest by voting for releases.
>
> Andi..

That's a pitty. So back to the current state: the project is dormant due to
lack of interest? Or is is dead already?

If it's the users who should show more interest - I think that can be
organized. Please hands up ,-)

Already noticed some reactions and votes. I also voted for some releases
(and provided some minor code contributions) in the past, but never really
understood the voting process: always (at least) 3 members of the PMC
(=project management committee) must vote for a release, right? So votes of

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jeff Breidenbach <je...@jab.org>.

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.
  Hi Thomas,

On Sun, 15 Nov 2015, Thomas Koch wrote:

> I?d like to know about the current state of PyLucene and its roadmap.
>
> According to the PyLucene website (latest entry 6 Oct 2014) PyLucene 4.10.1 is the latest release whereas Java Lucene 5.0 branch appeared in February 2015 (as of September 2015 Apache Lucene 5.3.1 is available).
>
> Are there any plans to continue support for the 5.x branch (or in general current and future Lucene releases) in PyLucene?
> According to the Lucene website "PyLucene is a Python port of the Core project.? - so it would be great if it could cover the same Lucene as in Java.
>
> We?re currently (still) using PyLucene 3.6 and would like to upgrade to a newer release. Question is if we should upgrade to 4.x or wait for 5.x
>
> It should be noted that there are certainly some people using PyLucene - for example I came across the lupyne project: Pythonic search engine based on PyLucene, including a standalone server based on CherryPy.
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/lupyne <https://pypi.python.org/pypi/lupyne>

The PyLucene project has gone dormant for lack of interest: it can no longer
garner the votes, needed from the Lucene PMC, and appreciated from users, to
authorize a release via the Apache Foundation. The 4.10.4 release has been
languishing in release limbo since March 10, 2015.

Doing a port to 5.x is certainly possible but requires some work, especially
in porting (some) unit tests from Java to Python. General lack of interest is
not a motivating factor. As of now, the way to revive the project would be to
vote for releases when they're announced (Lucene PMC _and_ users) and send in
patches towards a 5.x port.
It would also be a useful move to enable JCC to support Python 3.

I'd be happy to get the projects (PyLucene and JCC) going again but not into a
void.

Thank you for your interest in PyLucene all these years (over 10 years now) !

Andi..