Posted to dev@royale.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID> on 2020/05/05 17:25:32 UTC

Maven DIstribution

It may be too early in the morning for me, but I switched to the release/0.9.7 branch in all 3 repos, did a "mvn clean install" all of them, then back in royale-asjs I ran
"mvn -Pwith-distribution clean install" and got an error:

Failed to create assembly: Error adding file to archive: /Users/aharui/git/royale/maven/royale-asjs/distribution/jars/compiler-mxmljsc/target/compiler-mxmljsc-0.9.7.jar

Interestingly, maybe related, the output on the CI server says things like " Skipping the assembly in this project because it's not the Execution Root" which may be why it gets past this point.  So I think we're missing something somewhere.  I thought it would be as simple as selecting that profile.

Thoughts?
-Alex

Re: Maven DIstribution

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Harbs,

I checked out the rc4 tag for my test ... so I assume the RC is already cut.

Chris

    Is there any chance of getting the latest changes to XML in the release? There were some regressive bugs that were just fixed.

Re: Maven DIstribution

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

RE: Maven DIstribution

Posted by Yishay Weiss <yi...@hotmail.com>.
I’m close to starting a vote on rc4. I need to know whether or not to hold up the release for this. Is this something we need in 0.9.7 or can it wait for 0.9.8 ?

Thanks.

________________________________
Maybe. I can't find how to do that in the instructions.  I assumed it would end up in a "target" folder.

On 5/5/20, 3:09 PM, "Piotr Zarzycki" <pi...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Shouldn't you add path where distribution will be saved?

Re: Maven DIstribution

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
I got it to work from the tags too.  I must have had something else mismatched during other attempts.

Part of the 100 steps is to update compiler and typedef version properties.  But we do it after the vote so we don't have to revert it for each RC.

-Alex

On 5/6/20, 1:44 AM, "Christofer Dutz" <ch...@c-ware.de> wrote:

    Also confirmed:

    So a release candidate should be ok ... if the release branches should be used as base for bugfix versions ... perhaps a step should be added to bump the compiler and typedef version properties to the next development version?

    Chris

    Am 06.05.20, 10:17 schrieb "Christofer Dutz" <ch...@c-ware.de>:

        Hi all,

        I confirm Alex' findings.

        The reason is that in the release-branch the version of the asjs artifacts differs from that of the compiler.
        The compiler version is 0.9.7 but the asjs version is 0.9.8-SNAPSHOT.

        In general we should probably update the "rars" sub-modules of the distribution to use ${royale.compiler.version} as version.

        But the current state in "release/0.9.7" isn't a real valid state anyway ... usually you would probably bump the compiler and typedefs versions to the new SNAPSHOT versions after releasing the module. In that case the versions would be back in sync.

        Regarding the release ... I think this doesn't have any impact on the release itself. Cause in this the compiler, typedefs and asjs all have the version 0.9.7 and therefore this shouldn't be an issue.

        I'll checkout the release-tag and try again and report back.

        Chris

        Am 06.05.20, 09:51 schrieb "Christofer Dutz" <ch...@c-ware.de>:

            Hi all,

            Just some background to get rid of the confusion:
            The "with-distribution" enables the distributions you make Maven build the archives ... if you provide the distributionTargetFolder property it also builds an "exploded" version, which you can directly use in an IDE. If you execute the build in the distribution folder, you don't even need to activate the "with-distribution" profile.

            The artifact it's looking for is one of the jars built as child modules of the distribution, which just take a compiler artifact and changes the executable class. So if you build the distribution module, so should the sub-module.

            One thing ... @Alex did you just execute the distribution and prevent maven from building anything else? Then this will be the cause ... as you haven't enabled the "with-distribution" profile, maven won't build it but also not the  9 sub-modules of that module ... so if you now just build only the distribution module, it will not find the other stuff it's looking for.

            So I just built the distribution in develop and all worked ... now I'm switching to the release-branch (is there a reason they are called "rel/0.9.7" for compiler and typedefs and "release/0.9.7" for asjs?

            Will report anything I find.

            Chris

            Am 06.05.20, 07:32 schrieb "Alex Harui" <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>:

                FWIW, I added -DdistributionTargetFolder= and still the same failure.

Re: Maven DIstribution

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Also confirmed:

Re: Maven DIstribution