Posted to ruleqa@spamassassin.apache.org by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi> on 2015/12/22 17:13:54 UTC

Pondering: saving electricity costs

Currently I process my masschecks using a setup:

raspberry pi
     -> call a PC with Core i7 is available
     -> else call a Azure VM with lots of cores and RAM

Those resources are down and/or suspended unless woken up by the raspi
or me manually for some other purpose. Usually I use my Nexus 6P and
MacBook Air for my casual computing.

The raspi wakes up the process at 13:00 EET, and the run lasts some
1h-1.5h usually. It just happens to be the timing when electricity spot
prices are at their peak or the day.

I would like to schedule that so that it would run at 02:00-03:30 at
night, when the cost it at it's lowest.

Is that possible somehow? What day's batch it would run? I have not tested.

I might move to hour based e bills on march 16, if that works.

--
jarif.bit

Re: Pondering: saving electricity costs

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.
On 22.12.2015 20.47, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> On 12/22/2015 11:13 AM, Jari Fredriksson wrote:
>>
>> Currently I process my masschecks using a setup:
>>
>> raspberry pi
>>     -> call a PC with Core i7 is available
>>     -> else call a Azure VM with lots of cores and RAM
>>
>> Those resources are down and/or suspended unless woken up by the raspi
>> or me manually for some other purpose. Usually I use my Nexus 6P and
>> MacBook Air for my casual computing.
>>
>> The raspi wakes up the process at 13:00 EET, and the run lasts some
>> 1h-1.5h usually. It just happens to be the timing when electricity
>> spot prices are at their peak or the day.
>>
>> I would like to schedule that so that it would run at 02:00-03:30 at
>> night, when the cost it at it's lowest.
>>
>> Is that possible somehow? What day's batch it would run? I have not
>> tested.
>>
>> I might move to hour based e bills on march 16, if that works.
>>
> It would have to run the correct batch or the results would be thrown
> out.  I would recommend you try it and let's see.
>
> Best,
> KAM

So I did. Looks good to me.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.