Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Pavan Balaji <ba...@mcs.anl.gov> on 2007/06/03 17:29:56 UTC

Remote svndump

Hi all,

I have an SVN repository setup on a remote server to which I don't have
shell access, but can access the repository through apache webdav. I want
to backup my projects from the repository (in case the server fails).
However, it looks like svndump can only be used locally, and not remotely
(from my understanding it doesn't do any authentication and hence needs
to be on the local server).

My question -- is there anyway I can remotely create a backup of the
repository through webdav (including the history, of course), so that I
can recreate the entire repository, exactly as it was, at any later time?

Please CC me on your reply as I'm not subscribed to this list.

Thanks.
 -- Pavan

--
Pavan Balaji,
Mathematics and Computer Science,

Re: Remote svndump

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jun 3, 2007, at 12:29, Pavan Balaji wrote:

> I have an SVN repository setup on a remote server to which I don't
> have
> shell access, but can access the repository through apache webdav.
> I want
> to backup my projects from the repository (in case the server fails).
> However, it looks like svndump can only be used locally, and not
> remotely
> (from my understanding it doesn't do any authentication and hence
> needs
> to be on the local server).
>
> My question -- is there anyway I can remotely create a backup of the
> repository through webdav (including the history, of course), so
> that I
> can recreate the entire repository, exactly as it was, at any later
> time?

Well, the last time I answered "no" to this question, someone pointed
out that as of Subversion 1.4 there's the new svnsync service. So
presumably you can set up a local mirror of the remote repository
using svnsync, and then you can "svnadmin dump" your mirror.