Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org> on 2004/07/01 01:06:16 UTC

Re: CEAS

On Wednesday, June 30, 2004, 2:23:40 PM, Justin Mason wrote:
> early bird registrations finish up today, so worth booking if
> you're planning to go. (I've just booked ;)

> --j.

URI is:

  http://www.ceas.cc/

'Conference overview: Email has grown from a tool used by a few
academics on the Arpanet to a ubiquitous communications tool. It
has evolved from a piece of simple, plain text in an inbox into a
rich graphical medium that can be viewed, sorted, signed,
encrypted, shared, archived, searched, prioritized, etc. Spam,
following the growth of email, has changed from a minor
curiosity, to a nuisance, to a multi-billion dollar problem.

There have been been numerous industrial conferences on spam and
email, which have typically concentrated on shipping products and
very practical concerns. But there is also a need for
academic-style conferences: peer-reviewed, with a published
proceedings, and, most importantly, focused on the kind of
carefully done, thorough, long-term research that the academic
and industrial research communities need.

Of course, many academic papers have been published about spam
and email, in fields as diverse as machine learning,
cryptography, natural language processing, systems, security, and
human computer-interaction. But there has been no single
conference to bring together these communities to exchange ideas
and compare techniques.

Email and spam are applied problems, with both legal and
practical aspects. Another goal of this conference is to create a
dialogue that includes the legal, policy, industrial and research
communities.

Finally, email and email-spam have much in common with other
fields, like instant messaging (and instant messaging spam),
usenet (and usenet spam), etc. Solutions across these fields can
be shared.

We hope this conference will be the first in an annual series,
although one day, when spam is eliminated, the name will change
to simply "The Conference on Email". Come help us make that day
come soon.'

Jeff C.