Posted to c-users@xalan.apache.org by th...@ascentialsoftware.com on 2004/05/27 15:14:40 UTC

Dynamic loading of Xalan library on Solaris

I was just curious to know if anyone knows if the issue below has been fixed
in the latest XalanC version or with a specific Solaris patch (since it is
really a Solaris problem at the end of the day).

The issue is a message (square root of negative number) printed on stderr at
XalanC library initialization time.

I did a few searches in the XalanC bug database without any success.

Here is the last comment from Dave Bertoni on the subject, exchanged end of
2002:

Well, that is a problem with the Xalan library, although it's really an
underlying bug in Sun's run-time.

Xalan uses the sqrt() function to determine the value of NaN when it starts
up by calling the function with a negative number.  This is supposed to fail
silently and return the correct number according to the ANSI standard. We
have a similar problem on AIX which was fixed in the 1.4 release.
Unfortunately, nobody has ever reported the problem on Solaris, so I didn't
think it was a problem.

Thanks

Thomas

Re: Dynamic loading of Xalan library on Solaris

Posted by da...@us.ibm.com.
Hi Thomas,

I think we still use that code, although I wouldn't be averse to "fixing"
the problem, if someone can come up with the appropriate fix.  The last
time I checked, we couldn't use the values in std::numeric_limits on
Solaris, because they didn't yield the correct results.

Thanks!

Dave

|---------+----------------------------------->
|         |           thomas.cherel@ascentials|
|         |           oftware.com             |
|         |           05/27/2004 06:14 AM     |
|         |           Please respond to       |
|         |           xalan-c-users           |
  |        To:      xalan-c-users@xml.apache.org                                                                                           |
  |        cc:      (bcc: David N Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM)                                                                                   |
  |        Subject: Dynamic loading of Xalan library on Solaris                                                                            |