Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/09/25 22:49:01 UTC

New AOO 4.0 review article (PC World)

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2048446/apache-openoffice-4-0-review-new-features-easier-to-use-still-free.html

Title is "Apache OpenOffice 4.0 review: New features, easier to use, still free"

We get 4.5 of 5 stars.  The reviewer says AOO 4.0 is "smooth and
cohesive" and gives good coverage to the new sidebar.

However we are dinged a little for the "documentation" (I think he
means the in-product help files) which is described as "sparse, and
not well-aimed at non-technical users".   I wonder if there is
something we can do to link in more of the tutorial/overview material
that exists?

-Rob

Re: New AOO 4.0 review article (PC World)

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>wrote:

> On 25/09/2013 Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> http://www.pcworld.com/**article/2048446/apache-**
>> openoffice-4-0-review-new-**features-easier-to-use-still-**free.html<http://www.pcworld.com/article/2048446/apache-openoffice-4-0-review-new-features-easier-to-use-still-free.html>
>> Title is "Apache OpenOffice 4.0 review: New features, easier to use,
>> still free"
>>

> Nice review, even though one of the initial sentences
>   ---
> Like LibreOffice and OpenOffice.org, Apache OpenOffice "forked" from
> Oracle OpenOffice (which grew from StarOffice) in 2010.
>   ---
> it's so dense of errors that makes me wonder where people get information
> from (to avoid confusion: the sentence contains several errors, but the
> most disturbing one is that it portrays OpenOffice.org as a fork of Oracle
> OpenOffice).
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

​I read that, and tweet the publishing unfortunately they dont list the
author so no way to get an update. Also they quote the fokrked so maybe he
was just being lazy explaining the whole deal. I did point him to the
Apache announcement on OpenOffice.org back in 2010.​

--
Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor

Re: New AOO 4.0 review article (PC World)

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 3:10 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > On 25/09/2013 Rob Weir wrote:
> >>

> http://www.pcworld.com/article/2048446/apache-openoffice-4-0-review-new-features-easier-to-use-still-free.html
> >> Title is "Apache OpenOffice 4.0 review: New features, easier to use,
> still
> >> free"
> >

> > Nice review, even though one of the initial sentences
> >   ---
> > Like LibreOffice and OpenOffice.org, Apache OpenOffice "forked" from
> Oracle
> > OpenOffice (which grew from StarOffice) in 2010.
> >   ---
> > it's so dense of errors that makes me wonder where people get information
> > from (to avoid confusion: the sentence contains several errors, but the
> most
> > disturbing one is that it portrays OpenOffice.org as a fork of Oracle
> > OpenOffice).
> >

> We do have an "about" page that has the project history, but I don't
> think we have any prominent links to it:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/about/
>
> -Rob

"About" used to be a separate top link long ago. Given the wording for
 "I Want to Learn More About OpenOffice", and its description, maybe About
should be linked from that area.

It really would be nice to give my prominence to this history.

> > Regards,
> >   Andrea.

MzK

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged
 to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't."
                             -- "Following the Equator", Mark Twain

Re: New AOO 4.0 review article (PC World)

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>wrote:

> On 25/09/2013 Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> http://www.pcworld.com/**article/2048446/apache-**
>> openoffice-4-0-review-new-**features-easier-to-use-still-**free.html<http://www.pcworld.com/article/2048446/apache-openoffice-4-0-review-new-features-easier-to-use-still-free.html>
>> Title is "Apache OpenOffice 4.0 review: New features, easier to use,
>> still free"
>>

> Nice review, even though one of the initial sentences
>   ---
> Like LibreOffice and OpenOffice.org, Apache OpenOffice "forked" from
> Oracle OpenOffice (which grew from StarOffice) in 2010.
>   ---
> it's so dense of errors that makes me wonder where people get information
> from (to avoid confusion: the sentence contains several errors, but the
> most disturbing one is that it portrays OpenOffice.org as a fork of Oracle
> OpenOffice).

Egads! Makes one wonder...

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 6:43 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>

> http://www.pcworld.com/article/2048446/apache-openoffice-4-0-review-new-features-easier-to-use-still-free.html
> >
> > Title is "Apache OpenOffice 4.0 review: New features, easier to use,
> still
> > free"
> >
> > We get 4.5 of 5 stars.  The reviewer says AOO 4.0 is "smooth and
> > cohesive" and gives good coverage to the new sidebar.
> >
> > However we are dinged a little for the "documentation" (I think he
> > means the in-product help files) which is described as "sparse, and
> > not well-aimed at non-technical users".   I wonder if there is
> > something we can do to link in more of the tutorial/overview material
> > that exists?
> >
> > -Rob

> I'm sure there is. I took a look at what's available to guide one of our
> newest volunteers who might be interested in contributing to this. There is
> a 108 page document on the help files! I'm sure it's useful but probably
> VERY daunting when it's likely making changes to the help files isn't
> necessarily so.
>
> Also, given my own experience of late with the internal help files, I'm not
> happy with the results produced by the "Find", and wonder how we can get
> more hits for keywords that should yield some better results.
>
> Long story short, we do need to expend some effort in the near future (
> goal of mine anyway) to tutorials/guidelines on the help system -- how it
> works, how to add to it, etc. This is really an area of "documentation" in
> my mind, even though it is internal. Volunteers with some technical writing
> expertise would be very valuable in this area.

> MzK
>
> "Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged
>  to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't."
>                              -- "Following the Equator", Mark Twain

​I think it would help people if we have a more wiki-like navigation of the
documents as opposed to the old chm model.
Things like tag clouds, tutorials and better used of integrate it with a
knowledgebase​ like the FAQ engine that was generated on the wiki
documentation website.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 4:49 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> http://www.pcworld.com/article/2048446/apache-openoffice-4-0-review-new-features-easier-to-use-still-free.html
>
> Title is "Apache OpenOffice 4.0 review: New features, easier to use, still
> free"

Does someone want to work on the pseudo-Victorian dictionary?  There might
be demand for a language pack that includes "programmetry" and "'pon".

Don