Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Alexis Midon <al...@airbnb.com.INVALID> on 2016/04/03 08:32:21 UTC

Re: Upgrade path to 0.10.x

- This type of questions is pretty common on the ml. Personally I don't
think I could confidently described the compatibility/upgrade scenarios.
Some clarification is needed, ideally in a single place.

I think this is even more crucial as the number of new features increases
(which is exciting)

- Also would it make sense to release and version the clients independently
of the server? Afaik clients are tied to a protocol version, not a broker
version.

At the moment the "new consumer" is in beta but shipped with non beta
server code. Quite confusing.

Some clarity and predictability would be helpful.

Re: Upgrade path to 0.10.x

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
There are some discussions in maintaining client compatibility across
broker versions, where the main idea is to allow clients to retrieve the
broker version programmatically (details in KIP-35).

As for now although clients and servers are released together they each can
be treated as different versions. For the new consumer released in 0.9, it
works with any 0.9 brokers as well as future released brokers as well. It
was tagged "beta" mainly because we want to leave it flexible for minor API
changes, but in any case it should work well with the servers.

Guozhang

--
-- Guozhang