Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by sandy pittendrigh <sa...@cns.montana.edu> on 2004/06/01 17:10:41 UTC

Strategies for debugging system (tomcat) crashes

We have an application that has been in development for more than
a year now. The number of interactive users is still small, but it has grown
recently.  Associated with this recent growth in realtime, day-to-day
use is an alarming increase in system failures:

tomcat seems to get inexplicably hosed, at seemingly random intervals.

The $JAKARTA_HOME/logs files have (so far) revealed nothing helpful.
ps uax | grep jakarta reveals the expected number of processes, but nothing
works: not even the :8080 manager servlet.

bouncing tomcat seems to bring everything back up again.
Is it our code or Xindice that is trouncing jakarta?

We're running java version "1.4.2_04" on a SuSe8.1 on a standard linux box,
with a gigabyte of memory.

jakarta-tomcat-4.1.29
We start jakarta with  JAVA_OPTS="-Xms512m -Xmx512m"

xml-xindice1.1b3

Any degbugging suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I'm at a loss as to how to track this down.

--
/* Sandy Pittendrigh  >--oO0>
** sandy@cns.montana.edu

Re: Strategies for debugging system (tomcat) crashes

Posted by Gary Orser <or...@cns.montana.edu>.
Just a quick update on this.
There is no Xindice or java jvm problem.

An upgrade of the os from suse 8.0 to suse 9.0 fixed the problem.
(fortunately the problem was repeatable)

We think it was a fix to the virtual memory system.  We were pounding it
pretty hard.

Cheers, Gary
Gary Orser
Montana State University