Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Marc Palmer <ma...@anyware.co.uk> on 2003/05/21 18:24:28 UTC

Servlet 2.2 DTD and Tomcat 4.1

Hi all,

Perhaps this is a FAQ, though I haven't found it yet.

Tomcat 4.1 will fail to start my web-application if our internet
connectivity to Sun is down. This is because I am using the Servlets 2.2
DTD doctype in my web.xml:

<!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web
Application2.2//EN"
 "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_2.dtd">

Obviously this is really bad news. Sure it only happens when I try to start
my app, but if the server reboots and connectivity to Sun happens to be
down, my web application just will not start.

Curiously, this doesn't happen for webapps that use Servlets 2.3 DTD. Does
this mean that Tomcat ships a 2.3 DTD (in one of the JARs?) and uses a
local copy? I can only assume it does.

Is there a setting to allow us to provide a local copy of the 2.2 DTD
(perhaps using XML Catalog) so this problem will not occur? Perhaps there
is another solution?

Using the 2.3 DTD is not really a "solution", my web application has to be
portable to 2.2 containers.

Thanks in advance
--
Marc Palmer