Posted to builds@apache.org by Thomas Bouron <tb...@apache.org> on 2017/10/30 09:27:22 UTC

Jenkins slave able to build BED & RPM

Hi.

I'm looking to enable DEB & RPM package builds for SNAPSHOT versions of Apache Brooklyn. We currently build only the DEB (on an ubuntu slave) but I couldn't find any other slave running debian-like distro with RPM installed

Are you aware of any?

Thanks.

Best.

Re: Jenkins slave able to build BED & RPM

Posted by Thomas Bouron <tb...@apache.org>.
Thanks for all your replies. Created custom docker images with freestyle job on Jenkins and it works great. It was actually easier than I expected.

I now need to do this for all our builds.

Cheers.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@gmail.com>.
On 2017-10-30 11:57, Thomas Bouron wrote:
> Hi Dominik
>
> Thanks for the reply and links. Went already to [1] but it wasn't clear to me what distro each node was (unless going through every one of them but... there are a lot) As you said, it seems there isn't a centos or Red Hat slave, I'll file a request to INFRA for this then.

You also have the option to run the build with docker on ubuntu using a
centos docker image. I think it would be wise to evaluate that option
before filing a request to INFRA. The great benefit is that you can
build an rpm and test a built rpm on all the rhel flavored docker images
that you would like to support without the requirement to add additional
operating systems or hardware to the zoo of build slaves.

> PS: I'm asking the RPM binary to build RPM only, not use RPM packages on Debian (that would be mad indeed) and for ease of use: would be simpler for us to build everything in one go rather than having a special jenkins jobs to build only the RPM.

My preference is to split targets into different stages and to run the
build of those stages on the targeted operating system along with the
tests for the targeted operating system. Jenkins makes the development
of such build pipelines rather easy.

Posted by Thomas Bouron <tb...@apache.org>.
Hi Dominik