Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/23 13:19:24 UTC

[GSoC] JMX MC UI progress update / initial implementation work / request for thoughts

Hi guys,

Apologies for the recent radio silence, some distractions and my broadband
at home being knackered for the last couple weeks have kept me somewhat
silent. I am resuming residence in the university computer labs until its
fixed though, cant survive at the house using my phone on GPRS any longer :)

I have put up my progress in in a branch at /branches/jmx_mc_gsoc09 (
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/qpid/branches/jmx_mc_gsoc09). This includes
initial versions for some areas of the new UI, namely: UserMangement,
LoggingManagement, and the view for individual Queue's.

There is still some layout work to do on it, and as yet the result of
operations is not explicitly reported (but in several cases, is immediately
visible), mainly because i havent decided on the format: the traditional
info/error dialog with ok button works, but a status bar report area might
be a less intrusive/clicky solution.

Where a table only has one linked operation (eg view message contents from a
queue, or change a logger level) you can use the supplied buttons or jsut
double click the desired entry. Where there are multiple possible commands
you just use the buttons. The tables are all sortable, but the
sort-indicators do not show up on Linux, though do on Windows (for me at
least, which was lovely to discover after a wasting hours chasing it down on
Linux :P). Going the other way this time, some of the custom dialog
positioning is ok in Linux (centres to app) but totally wrong on Windows
(heads off to near the upper left corner), ill need to add some code to
handle that.

It would be good for some feedback on whats there in general(particularly if
you havent looked at the mock UI from a few weeks back), as it will no doubt
influence what the rest looks like.

Thanks,
Robbie

=======================

You can use the console on Windows, Linux (32 or 64bit), and Mac OS X (not
tested as yet). You can get the package by using the ant 'release-bin'
target from qpid/java/ which will build the console releases in
/qpid/java/management/eclipse-plugin/release/

NOTE:
SSL is enabled by default on the broker JMX connection and is using a
self-signed cert in its keystore, so you have to supply the matching SSL
truststore to the console for it to connect. Alternatively, just disable the
SSL before launching the broker by using the option in  etc/config.xml to
toggle it off.

If you do want to use the SSL, you can supply the necessary details in the
qpidmc.ini configuration file in the root of the  console release (or buried
somewhere within the app package for OS X), which has a pre-configured
example. Change the example to the values below to match the test keystore
in the repository:
-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=<your.checkout.location>/qpid/java/test_resources/ssl/certstore.jks
-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword=password

Re: [GSoC] JMX MC UI progress update / initial implementation work / request for thoughts

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
I meant to add, you have to login is admin:admin in order to see the User
Management and Logging Management mbeans.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
2009/6/24 Aidan Skinner <ai...@gmail.com>

There is still some layout work to do on it, and as yet the result of
> > operations is not explicitly reported (but in several cases, is
> immediately
> > visible), mainly because i havent decided on the format: the traditional
> > info/error dialog with ok button works, but a status bar report area
> might
> > be a less intrusive/clicky solution.
>

> I like the status bar approach and visible updates. I'd only raise a
> dialouge if there's been an error. It's probably worth documenting UI
> conventions as you go so that it remains consistent.

Will do, its fairly simple so far though:

Most 'viewing' operations are performed implicitly in the UI to present the
initial info, eg loggers, user, message lists, which are sortable.

Additional operations are grouped according to relevance, either linked to
the tables or seperately. If there is only one operation on a set of
presented data, users can either use the provided button or double click an
entry in the table. If there are multiple operations on presented data, only
the buttons will initiate the invocation.

Any operation that modify visible data cause all the currently presented
data to be updated following execution. So far, the only operations that
doesnt apply for are 'View Selected Message' after selecting a message in
the table, and 'Set Password' for a selected user password. Also, once
implemented, all presented info will be updated automatically at a desired
interval regardless of additional method invocation.

All non-viewing operations present an ok/cancel opportunity, whether there
is need to request input(which it does at the time) or not.

Robbie

Re: [GSoC] JMX MC UI progress update / initial implementation work / request for thoughts

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 12:19 PM, Robbie Gemmell
<ro...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I have put up my progress in in a branch at /branches/jmx_mc_gsoc09 (
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/qpid/branches/jmx_mc_gsoc09). This
> includes
> initial versions for some areas of the new UI, namely: UserMangement,
> LoggingManagement, and the view for individual Queue's.

Nice. :)

There is still some layout work to do on it, and as yet the result of
> operations is not explicitly reported (but in several cases, is immediately
> visible), mainly because i havent decided on the format: the traditional
> info/error dialog with ok button works, but a status bar report area might
> be a less intrusive/clicky solution.

I like the status bar approach and visible updates. I'd only raise a
dialouge if there's been an error. It's probably worth documenting UI
conventions as you go so that it remains consistent.

- Aidan