Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Ken Gunderson <kg...@teamcool.net> on 2010/09/22 20:49:50 UTC

Off Topic - ORCL Badness (was Re: Apache Roller 5.0.0 RC2 files available)

On Wed, 2010-09-22 at 19:41 +0200, Harald Wellmann wrote:
> Ken, I do respect your opinion on Glassfish, but your message in this
> context is just plain FUD and does not answer Enrique's question.

How is this FUD?  I can't name names due to confidentiality constraints
but everyone I know has moved off of it.  SMB's we were working with
have all gone back to MS post Oracle take over. The larger enterprises
we're familiar with have either 1) feasibility studies underway or, 2)
plans already in place for moving off of _everything_ Oracle because,
quite frankly, the price increases and accompanying arrogance has really
irritated a lot of people.  Some of whom are decision makers enjoying 7
figure salaries.   RHEL and IBM seem to be the alternatives of choice.
One public case that I can point to w.r.t. Oracle DB

"Monash points out that JP Morgan Chase has an ongoing project looking
at replacing the Oracle database, possibly with IBM's DB2."

Link to full text here:

<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/20/chase_oracle/>

On the hardware side, sales of Sun hardware are down 40%, comparing Q1
2010 with Q1 2009, the latter itself being a really poor quarter in the
wake of the 2008 financial melt down.

<http://searchoracle.techtarget.com/news/2240019082/Oracle-Sun-server-hardware-sales-nosedive>

> I'm no friend of Larry's myself, but I can see absolutely no reason to
> stop working with Glassfish 3.x.

That clustering support will be limited to v2 and never supported on v3
doesn't bother you?  That, per ORCL, Glassfish will be relegated to
"department level appserver" doesn't translate into "allowed to quietly
die on the vine"?

A couple other examples: 1) S10 being closed to production use w/o
service contract and, 2)  OpenSolaris project effectively killed and
morphed to an S11 Express, which will also require support contract to
be used in production.  Isn't the writing pretty much on the wall by
now?

> Especially if you use Java EE 6, there is not much choice...

Which is all really, really sad, because Glassfish was an awesome
appserver.  But I could no longer recommend it to anyone moving forward
on with new deployment because Oracle could kill it at it's whim at any
point in time w/o much discussion of the matter.  Well, okay, the
existing code would still be there, but w/o ORCL dev contributions and
timely patch put backs would it really prosper?  Would be cool if it
would and I'd like to hope for the best, but still kind of risky bet.

Regards-- ken

--
Ken Gunderson <kg...@teamcool.net>

Re: Off Topic - ORCL Badness (was Re: Apache Roller 5.0.0 RC2 files available)

Posted by Rajiv Mordani <ra...@oracle.com>.

On 9/22/10 11:49 AM, Ken Gunderson wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-09-22 at 19:41 +0200, Harald Wellmann wrote:
>
>> Ken, I do respect your opinion on Glassfish, but your message in this
>> context is just plain FUD and does not answer Enrique's question.
>>
> How is this FUD?  I can't name names due to confidentiality constraints
> but everyone I know has moved off of it.  SMB's we were working with
> have all gone back to MS post Oracle take over. The larger enterprises
> we're familiar with have either 1) feasibility studies underway or, 2)
> plans already in place for moving off of _everything_ Oracle because,
> quite frankly, the price increases and accompanying arrogance has really
> irritated a lot of people.  Some of whom are decision makers enjoying 7
> figure salaries.   RHEL and IBM seem to be the alternatives of choice.
> One public case that I can point to w.r.t. Oracle DB
>
> "Monash points out that JP Morgan Chase has an ongoing project looking
> at replacing the Oracle database, possibly with IBM's DB2."
>
> Link to full text here:
>
> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/20/chase_oracle/>
>
> On the hardware side, sales of Sun hardware are down 40%, comparing Q1
> 2010 with Q1 2009, the latter itself being a really poor quarter in the
> wake of the 2008 financial melt down.
>
> <http://searchoracle.techtarget.com/news/2240019082/Oracle-Sun-server-hardware-sales-nosedive>
>

>> I'm no friend of Larry's myself, but I can see absolutely no reason to
>> stop working with Glassfish 3.x.
>>
> That clustering support will be limited to v2 and never supported on v3
> doesn't bother you?  That, per ORCL, Glassfish will be relegated to
> "department level appserver" doesn't translate into "allowed to quietly
> die on the vine"?

I am part of the GlassFish team and clustering support isn't limited to
v2. We are working on clustering features on v3.1 for which milestone
builds (currently milestone 5) are already available . For a roadmap for
glassfish please see http://glassfish.org/roadmap. I am in fact working
on some of the clustering features and HA features of the web container
in GlassFish.

> A couple other examples: 1) S10 being closed to production use w/o
> service contract and, 2)  OpenSolaris project effectively killed and
> morphed to an S11 Express, which will also require support contract to
> be used in production.  Isn't the writing pretty much on the wall by
> now?
>

>> Especially if you use Java EE 6, there is not much choice...
>>
> Which is all really, really sad, because Glassfish was an awesome
> appserver.  But I could no longer recommend it to anyone moving forward
> on with new deployment because Oracle could kill it at it's whim at any
> point in time w/o much discussion of the matter.  Well, okay, the
> existing code would still be there, but w/o ORCL dev contributions and
> timely patch put backs would it really prosper?  Would be cool if it
> would and I'd like to hope for the best, but still kind of risky bet.

again I urge you to see the roadmap and also if possible see Thomas
Kurian's keynote highlights from JavaOne.

- Rajiv