Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Zoltán Zvara <zo...@gmail.com> on 2016/03/29 18:45:42 UTC

YARN re-locate container

Dear Hadoop Community,

Is there any feature available, or on the road map to support the
relocation of containers? (Simply restart the container on another machine.)

Thanks,
Zoltán

Re: YARN re-locate container

Posted by Musty Rehmani <mu...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
You can check memory allocation at yarn-site. xml

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 2:18 PM, Zoltán Zvara<zo...@gmail.com> wrote:   Yes, I'm aware of that, but here we have very-long running containers. Nodes are from 100s to 1000s, it depends on the site. Memory and heap sizes are not known.
On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 1:56 PM Musty Rehmani <mu...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Containers are temporary.  They shut down after job is finished.  How many nodes in your cluster and what is the memory and heap size

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 4:44 AM, Zoltán Zvara

<zo...@gmail.com> wrote:   The intent to move a container is to improve service-to-service locality, co-locate services to reduce bottlenecks introduced by network. The idea that a certain parallel process should be moved comes from an external service.
Speculation might not be effective here as I see, since the intent to move a container can be triggered hourly, daily, weekly or monthly - containers contain long running services, data pipelines. Or am I on the wrong line here? Can I simulate something like this with the current speculation?
Thanks for help!
On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 11:17 PM Eric Payne <er...@yahoo.com> wrote:

I think it would help if I knew what the criteria is for wanting to move the container. In other words, was the container started on an undesirable node in the first place? Or, did the node become undesirable after the container started.
Speculation could be considered a "move" operation for containers. If a container isn't finishing fast enough, the default speculator will start another container on a different node. Would it be possible to create a specialized speculator that understood your criteria for needing to move containers? If so, it could be done automatically / programatically.
Thanks,-Eric

Re: YARN re-locate container

Re: YARN re-locate container

Re: YARN re-locate container

Posted by Zoltán Zvara <zo...@gmail.com>.

Re: YARN re-locate container

Posted by Zoltán Zvara <zo...@gmail.com>.

Re: YARN re-locate container

Posted by Zoltán Zvara <zo...@gmail.com>.

Re: YARN re-locate container

Posted by Zoltán Zvara <zo...@gmail.com>.

Re: YARN re-locate container

Re: YARN re-locate container

Re: YARN re-locate container

Re: YARN re-locate container

Re: YARN re-locate container

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.
So, IIUC, there are two parts to what you need
 (1) How do I schedule containers in the first place asking for locality?
 (2) How do I keep my scheduling requirements the same even if some of my dependent service move / migrate.

For (1), YARN supports data-locality - you can give preferences for hosts / racks etc. More advanced ‘locality’ features are a work-in-progress.

As of now, we deem (2) to be too custom that we leave it up to the applications to orchestrate. Once we start putting more of the advanced locality features that I mentioned above, we can consider having the platform move containers automatically to keep those locality promises when services move/migrate.

HTH
+Vinod

Re: YARN re-locate container

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.