Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Alex <my...@gmail.com> on 2010/09/11 01:41:49 UTC

Bayes and MySQL

Hi,

I set up bayes to use MySQL on a remote server, and have a few basic
questions that I hoped someone could help me to answer.

I have a couple hundred megs of ham and spam that I'd like to use to
train bayes, but the process is extremely slow. What is the normal
rate of training bayes via MySQL? What can I do to determine why it
would be running so slowly?

I'm using MySQL-5.0.89 on both sides, and have set it up according to
the guide available here:

http://www200.pair.com/mecham/spam/debian-spamassassin-sql.html

I was training bayes with 100MB ham files across an otherwise idle T1
(192k) link, which I would think would be sufficient. Monitoring the
traffic with tcpdump showed that I really don't think the remote
connection was the bottleneck. Both sides were also otherwise idle.

Thanks,
Alex