Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com> on 2016/09/08 09:35:52 UTC

Talk proposal for ApacheCon: Apache SIS for Earth observation and beyond

Hello all

I propose the following talk for Apache Conference in Seville (Spain).
It is based in part on Hao and Chinh's work done during the Google
Summer of Code. Is there any comment about this proposal?

Title: Apache SIS for Earth observation and beyond

Abstract: Apache SIS is a library for helping developers to create their
own geospatial application. SIS follows closely international standards
published jointly by the Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) and the
International Organization for Standardization (ISO). In this talk we
will show how SIS provides a unified metadata model based on ISO 19115
standard for summarizing the content of some file formats used for earth
observation: GeoTIFF, NetCDF, Landsat 8 and Modis. We will show how to
get the Coordinate Reference System (CRS) from those file formats or
from other sources like Well Known Text (WKT) 2 or registry maintained
by authorities, and how to use those CRS for coordinate operations. We
will present new issues to take in account when applying those tools to
extra-terrestrial bodies like Mars or asteroids. Finally we will present
next developments proposed for Apache SIS.

Audience: Apache SIS is a library for helping developers to create their
own geospatial application. SIS follows closely international standards
published jointly by the Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) and the
International Organization for Standardization (ISO). In this talk we
will show how SIS provides a unified metadata model based on ISO 19115
standard for summarizing the content of some file formats used for earth
observation: GeoTIFF, NetCDF, Landsat 8 and Modis. We will show how to
get the Coordinate Reference System (CRS) from those file formats or
from other sources like Well Known Text (WKT) 2 or registry maintained
by authorities, and how to use those CRS for coordinate operations. We
will present new issues to take in account when applying those tools to
extra-terrestrial bodies like Mars or asteroids. Finally we will present
next developments proposed for Apache SIS.

Benefits to the Ecosystem: Geospatial data are ubiquitous, but the
difficulty of handling them accurately is often under-estimated. Various
projects implement their own routines for performing geospatial
operations, with different levels of familiarity with international
standards or awareness about the limitations of simple approaches. This
presentation aims to improve awareness about some pitfalls, how
international standards address them and how Apache SIS enables their use.

    Martin

Re: Talk proposal for ApacheCon: Apache SIS for Earth observation and beyond

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com>.
Oups! Sorry there is a cut-and-paste error in my previous email. The
second paragraph should be:

Audience: The target audiences are data scientists and developers of web
or desktop applications or big data frameworks that need to handle
geospatial coordinates and metadata. This presentation aims to help
those developers to evaluate the advantages of using a library like
Apache SIS for geospatial operations instead than developing custom
methods. Developers interested in Apache SIS plans for future
developments (e.g. rasters, map rendering) or in existing software built
on top of SIS may also find useful information in this talk.

    Martin