Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> on 2015/05/11 20:27:23 UTC

[DISCUSS] Release imaging in its current state? (or release it never...)

Hi,

over the past few month I've been working on [imaging]. Looking through the
list of FindBugs and Checkstyle issues, I wonder what we should do with
imaging. The code doesn't meet our quality requirements, yet people seem to
be using imaging.

I wonder if we should simply release [imaging] in it's current state,
because I'm afraid fixing all of the FindBugs and Checksytle issues would
require a redesign.

WDYT?
Benedikt

--
http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/

Re: [DISCUSS] Release imaging in its current state? (or release it never...)

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
I think we should release it indeed but as what is the question: an alpha,
beta or 1.0. I'm not fully able to dig in though, I am OOT on a biz trip
and recovering from a cold to boot.

Would you mind digging through the email archives? I _know_ we've discussed
this in the past and there is a proposed roadmap IIRC.

Gary

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [DISCUSS] Release imaging in its current state? (or release it never...)

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 5:06 PM, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/11/15 11:27 AM, Benedikt Ritter wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > over the past few month I've been working on [imaging]. Looking through
> the
> > list of FindBugs and Checkstyle issues, I wonder what we should do with
> > imaging. The code doesn't meet our quality requirements, yet people seem
> > be using imaging.
> >
> > I wonder if we should simply release [imaging] in it's current state,
> > because I'm afraid fixing all of the FindBugs and Checksytle issues would
> > require a redesign.
>
> I would worry less about style nits and more about whether or not we
> are going to be able to respond to bug reports post-release.  Unless
> some (ideally more than one) volunteer is willing to step up to
> actually support the code, we should not release it.  We have
> learned that lesson over and over again.  If you are game to really
> learn it (or already have), are willing to support it and feel like
> it is functionally in good enough shape to release, I would say go
> for it; but if you are just looking to cut a release so people can
> stop depending on snapshots, I would say back to the snap-o-phobes
> "Come help build a community around this thing!"

Great point!

Gary

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.