Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Trond G. Ziarkowski" <tr...@gep-as.com> on 2004/11/29 10:44:19 UTC

[OT] Which webframework to use?

Hi all!

Obviously I'm way off topic here, but I'm posting this anyway.

I started developing JSP/Servlets using Tomcat 6 months ago. At the time
I started developing my app I wasn't much aware of MVC and frameworks to
help me with that, so I have developed everything from scratch.

Lately I have been reading up on Spring, WebWork, Struts and JSF. It
seems to me that the question is to Struts or not to Struts. People
using Struts are convinced that they have the right solution, but some
of them are "scared" that JSF is going to take over. And Spring seems to
go on about how easy it is to use and also mix with other frameworks.

My webapp is somewhat close to the MVC pattern, not bad for not knowing
about it when design started :), and I think that it should be quite
easy for me to implement one of these frameworks.

In my understanding the biggest competitors are Struts and JSF, and in
the 2.x release of Struts they will rely on JSF as supporting technology
so one of these seems to be a good choice.

Any good tips on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Trond

Re: [OT] Which webframework to use?

Posted by Peter Mengell <pe...@granada-learning.com>.
Hi,

We've been using Struts exclusively for the last few years and have found it
to be very good, I can recommend it.

In most cases we have modified the struts controller to allow transparent
skinning of the web-apps and extra security to be implemented in the
controller, thats the only niggle we have.

Pete

Posted by sven morales <ak...@yahoo.com>.
Hello,
    I assume you are evaluating other frameworks, may
I suggest you look into Apache Cocoon project. It
started as a web publishing framework, and can do MVC
as Struts can, but if you have a need to provide
output to different formats WAP, PDF, Microsoft Excel,
SVG formats, just about anything ("anything" is
probably in the works :; )  here are the links to get
started:

http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/HowTos
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-users&r=1&b=200411&w=4

--- "Trond G. Ziarkowski"