Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Richard Heintze <si...@yahoo.com> on 2002/08/28 18:41:47 UTC

How to store dates in XML for XSLT

Hey guys,
  I want to write my resume in XML.

  How do I store dates and delta times so that I can

  (1) use XML to sort my engagements by date (and
syntax check them with SAX.count and a schema file)
   or by duration of engagment by storing a delta-time
  (2) use XSLT and XALAN to display them in a friendly
format like "August 1998"

   The XML standard defines some very cryptic formats
for date-times and delta times. These are fine for
sorting but how do you use XSLT/Xalan/Cocoon with
them?

    Thanks,
            Siegfried

Re: How to store dates in XML for XSLT

Posted by Joseph Kesselman <ke...@us.ibm.com>.
XSLT 1.0 doesn't really have any support for dates. You sorta have to
invent your own solution, either in the stylesheet or in extension
functions such as the  EXSLT Datetime functions (see
http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/apidocs/org/apache/xalan/lib/ExsltDatetime.html).

XSLT 2.0 will add support for typed data, including dates. We're currently
working on a prototype of that functionality on the XSLT20 branch, but it
isn't really ready for prime time yet.

Re: How to store dates in XML for XSLT

Posted by Joseph Kesselman <ke...@us.ibm.com>.
XSLT 1.0 doesn't really have any support for dates. You sorta have to
invent your own solution, either in the stylesheet or in extension
functions such as the  EXSLT Datetime functions (see
http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/apidocs/org/apache/xalan/lib/ExsltDatetime.html).

XSLT 2.0 will add support for typed data, including dates. We're currently
working on a prototype of that functionality on the XSLT20 branch, but it
isn't really ready for prime time yet.

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research