Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> on 1999/05/25 17:00:54 UTC

Memory profiler - any suggestions?

Hi all,

I am trying to hunt down and kill a stubborn memory leak in my Apache /
auth_ldap configuration which is killing my box every few days.

I've been looking for a memory profiler that will allow me to run Apache
for a while, then give me a report on all memory leaks after Apache
exits. What complicates this obviously is the leak could be in the
auth_ldap module, so the profiler must be able to handle that.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street
						tonight...

Re: Memory profiler - any suggestions?

Posted by Joshua Rabinowitz <jo...@joshr.com>.
Won't purify do this?
joshr

Josh Rabinowitz    SkateTalk Systems (tm)    http://www.skatetalk.com/
joshr@joshr.com       JOSHR Consulting           http://www.joshr.com/

Re: Memory profiler - any suggestions?

Posted by Alan Champion <A....@greenwich.ac.uk>.
Graham,

On Tue, May 25, 1999 at 05:00:54PM +0200, Graham Leggett wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to hunt down and kill a stubborn memory leak in my Apache /
> auth_ldap configuration which is killing my box every few days.
>
> I've been looking for a memory profiler that will allow me to run Apache
> for a while, then give me a report on all memory leaks after Apache
> exits. What complicates this obviously is the leak could be in the
> auth_ldap module, so the profiler must be able to handle that.
>
> Has anyone got any suggestions?

Possibly:

debauch - http://quorum.tamu.edu/jon/gnu/debauch-0.3.tar.gz
memwatch - http://www.link-data.com/memwatch-2.59.tar.gz

> Regards,
> Graham

Rgds,

alan.

Re: Memory profiler - any suggestions?

Posted by Dan Kegel <da...@alumni.caltech.edu>.
Graham Leggett wrote:
> I am trying to hunt down and kill a stubborn memory leak in my Apache /
> auth_ldap configuration which is killing my box every few days.
>
> I've been looking for a memory profiler that will allow me to run Apache
> for a while, then give me a report on all memory leaks after Apache
> exits. What complicates this obviously is the leak could be in the
> auth_ldap module, so the profiler must be able to handle that.
>
> Has anyone got any suggestions?

A quick search with Deja found an old but possibly helpful page:

http://www.cs.colorado.edu/homes/zorn/public_html/MallocDebug.html

One tool it mentions is mprof, which sounds promising...
- Dan